Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Voltmeter install

Hello All,
    Is it possible and has anyone installed a voltmeter permanently on a 1980 GS850GLT. If so, can you share the steps to install one.There is an idiot light for oil pressure but not for charging. Seems to me it is just as important as oil pressure.
    Thanks for all the help.

Posplayr is the man to talk to.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Very good plan and not hard at all. I put them on all my bikes. There are two types analog (mechanical )and digital ( either with a numeric display or coloured L.E.D.s). Digital would be more accurate but analogs work well enough for us. I have been cheap analogs on my last 2 bikes but recently picked up some cheap digitals from E-bay ( Taiwan). I actually prefer the analog as the digital (with display), I find somewhat distracting as it is too accurate and the numbers change constantly.

Wiring is not difficult. You will have two leads a red + and a black - (duh). As you don't want the power on all the time you need to run the red to a switched source close to the battery. Technically, the power lead should go directly to the battery ( for accuracy) but then it would be on all the time. I plumb mine into the fuse block and gang it to a lead that only powers when the key is on. To find one take your circuit test light and touch the leads ( at the fuse block) with the key in the on position when it lights up you have a potential source. With the key off the light should go off also ( again duh). Join your red lead to this wire.

Take the ground lead from the meter and attach it to a frame point.

Again with the analog meters, while they are not super accurate they are close enough for "government work" and will give you ample warning of charging issues as you ride along.

I would feel naked without one and at least on 2 occassions they forwarned me of a problem when riding.

Take pics when you install yours.

cheers,
      Spyug
      Last edited by Guest; 05-23-2010, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Any pics, spyug?

Comment

Do you have any pics?
          Where would you say is the best mounting place?

Comment

Yes, Its nice to know what youre charging system is doing. This little $25 meter has worked on my bike for several years. I wouldnt get it wet tho.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
              Yes, Its nice to know what youre charging system is doing. This little $25 meter has worked on my bike for several years. I wouldnt get it wet tho.

We have one of those on my wife's 850L. One thing you can do to enhance its water resistance is to spray a couple coats of clear polyurethane on it to seal the joint around the display.

The one on my wife's bike is also under a shelf that I had originally installed for a CB radio so we could communicate with each other and the group (hey, we're Goldwingers). We have since installed a J&M CB on the left side of the handlebar, so that shelf is now used for the GPS and the XM radio.

It's nice to also see the time and temperature at a glance.

Dave, you need to set your clock.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Dave, you need to set your clock.
                Im in the stop watch function for 1/4 mile runs .
                82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Im in the stop watch function for 1/4 mile runs .
                  Gotcha.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Where did you get that meter? I've done a little (OK, very little) searching on e-bay for cheap digiatl voltmeters & they all seem to run $35 - $50.

That one looks nice enough
                    '85 GS550L - SOLD
                    '85 GS550E - SOLD
                    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                    '81 GS750L - SOLD
                    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
                      Where did you get that meter? I've done a little (OK, very little) searching on e-bay for cheap digiatl voltmeters & they all seem to run $35 - $50.

That one looks nice enough
                      Here's a place. A little cheaper.

Larry D
                      1980 GS450S
                      1981 GS450S
                      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Here's the same thing for just a little more money:
                        http://www.bigbikeparts.com/Inventor...-239?catalogNo=

I only have two complaints about these meters.
                        1. They are not very weather resistant, but I already mentioned how some spray polyurethane helps that.
                        2. The backlight is fed by a voltage divider, rather than a constant source. This means that while you are at idle, you might just barely see the display, and while running, it will be plenty bright. However, I have seen several of these meters on different bikes, and the variance in the brightness of the backlight is amazing. Since most of us don't do much riding at night, it's probably not much of a problem. To offset that problem, though, there are the three colored lights that are easy enough to tell whether you are charging or not.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

For what the show chrome is (non waterproof) I'm pretty happy with mine.

BTW, I bought some clear shrink tubing that just slipped over the multimeter. I ended up shrinking it too much and it depressed the some of the buttons. I will probably try again but put less heat so it doesnt shrink as much.

Especially when you compare to the price of this top notch Yoshimura item.

Last edited by posplayr; 05-24-2010, 12:10 PM.

Comment

I'm sure it's pretty pricey, but I saw no indication of how much.

By the way, Pos, that boost gauge for boost, or do you use it as an oil pressure gauge?

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              I only have two complaints about these meters.
                              Make that 3. The insulation on the wire is less than fragile. Plan on some kinda chafe sleeve over the wire.
                              82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

Working...
                              X