Electrical Orphans!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical Orphans!

Hi; I bought a 82 GS1100G recently and it had a very unhealthy charging system despite which Lynn managed to do some Voodoo on it so that it got me home again almost 2K miles later. So I get home and take stock, the wiring harness under the headlight is fused at the junction block from the Starter/Kill switch(see pic) as well as the harness coming from the r/r. A donor bike comes up an 82GS850G so I buy it strip the harness and put it on my bike...a perfect fit except these two wires(see pic). One is a black/white female and the other ones a kind of dark orange or light brown and you can see its a double female. Can anyone tell me where they go, I've studied the wiring diagrams and can't make these last two out. Any help would be great and does anyone need any spare GS850G bits? cheers Paul

Those are for farings.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by FiftyGS1100G View Post
      Hi; I bought a 82 GS1100G recently and it had a very unhealthy charging system despite which Lynn managed to do some Voodoo on it so that it got me home again almost 2K miles later. So I get home and take stock, the wiring harness under the headlight is fused at the junction block from the Starter/Kill switch(see pic) as well as the harness coming from the r/r. A donor bike comes up an 82GS850G so I buy it strip the harness and put it on my bike...a perfect fit except these two wires(see pic). One is a black/white female and the other ones a kind of dark orange or light brown and you can see its a double female. Can anyone tell me where they go, I've studied the wiring diagrams and can't make these last two out. Any help would be great and does anyone need any spare GS850G bits? cheers Paul
      Thanks Chef....tonight I will sleep annoying those stray wires...cheers Paul

Comment

Hey Paul!

Check it out!

Here's Ms. SqDancerLynn1 wrenching on your "new" bike.

I took a picture of you taking a picture of my bike.

Here you are wrenching on your bike in front of Lynn's.

Here you are about to enjoy a tasty snack of a valve cover bolt dipped in thread sealer.

Here's the two of you having fun spinning wrenches.

And a couple of the rough spots on your bike. I'm glad we found a new fender for you.

I'm glad you're home safely. I'll be listening for your radio show.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by FiftyGS1100G View Post
          ... a perfect fit except these two wires(see pic). One is a black/white female and the other ones a kind of dark orange or light brown and you can see its a double female. Can anyone tell me where they go, ...
          Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          Those are for farings.
          Not only for fairings, some of us have running lights in the front turn signals, too.
          The brown wire is the power for those lights, the black/white is the ground.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Do yourself a favor and wire the stator directly into the R/R. The factory wiring runs one stator leg out to the LH control switch and then back again, and this leg often develops resistance and frys the harness. It's a pretty simple matter to bypass these wires and go direct. Upgrading the stock R/R isn't a bad idea either.

Have fun.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
            X