82 GS850GL Coil Relay Mod Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS850GL Coil Relay Mod Problem

Not sure what I am doing wrong, hooked it up I have power but nothing when I hit the starter.

I am attempting to install it close to the fuse block or in that general area. I cut the O/W coming into the ignitor from the coils and hooked the end going up stream not from the ignitor to 87, cut the O/W going to the fuse block which should be from the kill switch and hooked that to 86 again from upstream not from the fuse block, tried swapping 86 & 87 no change. Did I hook up the wrong cut ends? Have a good ground to 85 and a new 20a fused power from the starter relay to 30.

I'm not real electrical smart so I'm hoping it's something dumb like I chose the wrong end of the cut wires.

It did start before I attempted this mod, just had a weak spark and was way lean I thought this would be an easy fix to get a fatter spark, along with bigger mains an shimming the needles I'm thinking I'm real close to having a running bike.

Do you have a multimeter. I would start by seeing if you actually have power at the starter or the last place down stream of where you were working, then check to see if you have power at the starter button. Sorry don't have the schematics to look at and decode what you posted but I am a firm believer in the half-way point trouble shooting method for electricity. Remember good goes in bad comes out that is where the problem lies. Are you confused yet?

Comment

85 & 30 are fine.
      87 should be going to your coils.
      86 triggers the relay.
      So, with the keyswitch on and the kill switch not activated, the O/W wire to 86 should show ~12v.
      If not, trace backward.
      When you get 86 showing ~12v, 87 should show battery voltage, which is usually around 12.4v with the engine not running.
      To double-check your kill switch, activate it. 86 should show 0v.

Comment

I do not have a multimeter. I checked the back of the fuse block and the 3rd fuse does go to the kill switch, I reconnected the O/W wires and she started. I think I need to hook up the wire coming out of the fuse to the relay 86 and the wire coming upstream from the coils to 87, and maybe the one out of the ignitor to 86.

She idles a little better and doesn't get as hot or smoke at all now but still can not get more than 1/4 throttle without stumble/bogging. I'll redo my floats as I think I'm letting too much fuel in.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

82 GS850GL
        4-1 Exhaust new gaskets
        Stock Airbox sealed
        Valve clearances in spec
        Carbs super clean
        New O Rings
        New Intake Boots
        New Plugs
        Oil Changed
        125 Mains
        Stock Pilot (i think)
        Shimmed stock needles (2 Radio Shack washers)
        Wiring good (thanks to Steve W) grounds all good.

Comment

Go to Harbor Freight or Radio Shack and get a multimeter. I am not trying to be harsh, but you should not be doing electrical work of any kind w/o one.

Comment

OK Got a cheapie Multimeter. I have 12v going to 86 & coming out of 87, but 86 does not go to 0 when I hit the kill switch. Am I supposed to cut the O/W wires or jump off them/splice into them?

Hooked it up as normal without the relay showing 10V at coils

Comment

No takers? Figured someone would have pointed out where I'm going wrong by now and give me a little dig for being a dumbass....lol.

Comment

Figured it out 12+ volts at the coils now yippee. I just need to put it all back together, solder, tape ect ect

Comment

Originally posted by Harry P. View Post
                  Figured it out 12+ volts at the coils now yippee. I just need to put it all back together, solder, tape ect ect
                  Congratulations

Comment

Working...
                  X