Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epic Stator Failure

Hi,

Yes, my "Jessie" developed charging issues last week. I finally got around to doing a little troubleshooting this afternoon.

Resistance between stator legs = 3.3 ohms
    Resistance between stator legs and frame ground = 3.3 ohms
    AC output between stator legs = 19v, 21v, 2v

I'm almost afraid to see what this (Electrosport) stator looks like. I've been way to busy this weekend and I'm too tired to pull it apart tonight. I'll probably replace the stator after I get home from work tomorrow. I'll clean up my connections again and take a few pictures. Let's get cooking with electrons!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Could be you've got a pinch or fray where the leads leave the case too......
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
      Could be you've got a pinch or fray where the leads leave the case too......
      Hi Dan,

That would be nice, I guess, if I just had to repair a busted or shorted wire(s). But I've got spares of everything I need, just in case.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
        Hi Dan,

That would be nice, I guess, if I just had to repair a busted or shorted wire(s). But I've got spares of everything I need, just in case.

BassCliff
        Cliff,
        What R/R you been using? I know your grounds are clean.
        Jim

Comment

Hi Jim,

It's a beefy 7 wire unit from a later model CBR. I installed it the same time I installed this current stator. I've got a couple of duaneage r/r specials around here somewhere. I've also got a Rick's stator on deck.

BassCliff

Comment

Hi Jim,

It's a beefy 7 wire unit from a later model CBR. I installed it the same time I installed this current stator. I've got a couple of duaneage r/r specials around here somewhere. I've also got a Rick's stator on deck.

BassCliff
            Is it FET based? Part Number?

Comment

Hey Jim,

I'll have to see if I wrote down the part number as I don't remember. Or I'll take it out tomorrow and have a look. I'll let you know. Thanks.

BassCliff

Comment

....cooking with electrons......

You're a funny man Cliff !!
                Larry D
                1980 GS450S
                1981 GS450S
                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

As I recall Cliff and I used the same Honda R/R on our 850's (not FET based but good units). Also as I recall this is something like the third stator failure for that bike. Me thinks Electrosports/RM Stator stators are, maybe, the cats as$ instead of the cats meow.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Hi Ed,

That's right. We talked about this r/r unit before I installed it. It certainly seems overkill for this old Suzuki.

Yeah, I've gone through an RMStator and an Electrosport stator on my bike. It has a Yuasa AGM battery that's about 2 years old. I'll clean everything really good again, replace the parts, and hope for the best.

BassCliff

Comment

Yeah, I've gone through an RMStator and an Electrosport stator on my bike. BassCliff
                      Hey BassCliff, (and others) who do you recommend I buy my next stator from? If all goes well, I'll be getting another GS1100G this week to replace the one I regret selling.
                      Thanks in advance,
                      Willie
                      Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                      '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                      '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                      '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Originally posted by willie View Post
                        Hey BassCliff, (and others) who do you recommend I buy my next stator from? If all goes well, I'll be getting another GS1100G this week to replace the one I regret selling.
                        Thanks in advance,
                        Willie
                        Hi,

I'm going to try a Rick's stator next.

I'm not trying to put down RM Stator or Electrosport. Maybe I'm just unlucky to have them fail right after the warranty period ends. I bought a couple of lemons, perhaps? Many folks have no problems with their parts. RM Stator was very nice to me on the phone when they replaced the first new stator that failed in the warranty period. I found a new Rick's stator on ebay for about half the regular price. I bought it for a rainy day. It rained on Sunday.

I'm going to head home and spend some time in the garage. I'll take a few pictures too.

BassCliff
                        Last edited by Guest; 05-25-2010, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Another Stator Installation

Hi,

I had a successful stator installation last night. Here are the highlights.

I like to stick the bolts in a piece of cardboard to keep them in order. They are not all the same length. I start with the highest bolt on the cover and remove them in a clockwise direction. It helps me remember where they go when I reassemble.

These are the gaskets. The stator cover gasket is on the left. I don't replace the starter cover gasket (right) very often but this time it was so brittle that it fell apart.

The left case saver and the starter cover have been removed. The bolts are out of the stator cover and the old stator wires have been pulled back. (I really need to clean my engine.)

Here's a shot of the old stator with its melted mayhem.

Because I had smeared a thin coating of axle grease on the gasket when it was installed, the gasket came right off in one piece leaving very little clean-up to do before re-installation.

This is the back side of the cooked stator.

And here is a Rick's stator. Notice the really nice sleeve, female bullet connectors, AND new rubber grommet pre-installed and ready to bolt on.

Of course, I cut off the bullet connectors and installed blade connectors. Another nice thing about the Rick's stator is that the wires are long enough to reach the left sidecover area. I have found that RM Stator parts do not and Electrosport stator wires are even shorter. The sleeve you get with these parts is plastic and turns brittle, and there is no grommet included.

Testing the new stator showed 14.3v at 2000 rpm and at 4500 rpm. That oversized CBR r/r unit has a really steady output. It has no sense wire. The voltage drop between the r/r (+) and the battery (+) was about 0.28v at 4000 rpm. When I get a chance I'll check and clean the necessary connections again to see if I can get that voltage drop under 0.25v.

Jim, it was getting late so I didn't pull the r/r to get a part number. I'll see if I can find it in my service records somewhere. That information would be good to know.

BassCliff
                          Last edited by Guest; 05-25-2010, 01:49 PM.

Comment

I have never used a starter cover gasket before.
                            Man that stator is COOKED!
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

She definetly looks a little toasty there BC.

Comment

Working...
                              X