No announcement yet.

Epic Stator Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have had terrible luck with the stator. I'm still on the original stator w/ honda reg !!!! 46K miles, 20K honda reg..
    that's one crispy critter

Comment

Any chance she was running a bit low on oil for any time? Heard that helps to cook stators.

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Hi Dan,

I check the oil level every day before I ride. But there was so little oil in the stator cover I'm starting to wonder if I've got a blockage somewhere. There was only a couple of tablespoons of oil in the cover when I disassembled last night.

Maybe I'll try the old "Seafoam in the oil" trick just before my next oil change.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

More fuel to the electron fire

Comment

Hi Jim,

The part of my stator that was really cooked was the lower part, the part that I thought would be bathed in oil more than the upper half. But the whole thing was pretty much burned black. I'm really hoping this Rick's part will last a while. I've been going through a stator a year since I've owned this bike.

BassCliff

Comment

Stator problems, me too…

My GS1100G is not recharging it's battery this year, and I did a "no load test" of the stator leads. Not showing the recommended 75 ACV.
              I am also considering the Ricks Motorsport Electrics Stator from Ebay.
              Glad to hear somebody else is willing to try it. Electrosport is out of stock for the GS1100G stators, but they were $20 less.
              Does anybody have a long term report for the Ricks stator?
              Bill
              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                Does anybody have a long term report for the Ricks stator?
                Hi Bill,

Well, I've gone three days and about 75 miles now with no problems.

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                X