Keyed ignition stuck in "Park"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
    OK...I'll try this first, as my ignition did the exact same thing this weekend on the Spring Fennimore rally...
    It was somewhat frustrating...

We ended up taking the ignition off and apart so I could get home.
    I don't have the original key with a number, but I understand it should be on one of the locks somewhere, correct?
    Bob,

I believe the key number is stamped on the back side of the helmet lock. It is probably also stamped on the ignition switch somewhere as well. Since your bike is comprised of parts from ??? other bikes it would be best to get the number from the ignition switch if possible. Hopefully someone will verify whether the number is stamped on the ignition switch.

Thanks,
    Joe
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
      Bob,

I believe the key number is stamped on the back side of the helmet lock. It is probably also stamped on the ignition switch somewhere as well. Since your bike is comprised of parts from ??? other bikes it would be best to get the number from the ignition switch if possible. Hopefully someone will verify whether the number is stamped on the ignition switch.

Thanks,
      Joe
      Thanks Joe...I didn't see it last night on the ignition, but I was tired so I'll look again.
      I don't have a helmet lock, (the OP saving weight again), but the seat lock is easy enough to remove.

Do you know any good, local locksmiths? I have an uncut blank.

I'd like to get this squared away before Lee Parks...although the custom ignition I'm running now is kinda cool...
      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

One more thing, ...

After you are once again able to ride in a straight line (not in those tight circles imposed by locked steering), DON'T USE THE PARK POSITION.

Have you ever parked it in the PARK position then come back to the bike a couple of hours later only to wonder why it won't start?
        That's because in the PARK position, your tail light is on.

If you insist on locking your forks, turn the key the other way, to the LOCK position, the tail light will not be on.

If you haven't yet gotten the forks unlocked from the PARK position, besides pushing down on the key, have you tried wiggling the forks a bit? It's just like the locking steering wheel in your car. If the wheels are turned when locked, the lock mechanism might be in a bind and not release until you relieve the pressure by turning the wheel (in the case of your bike, the forks).

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

OK...the new, cut by number key did not solve this issue....

I even went so far as to drill out the roll pins and pull the tumbler out.
          Whatever is stopping the lock from turning is inside the tumbler and right now I don't see how to get into that without damage.

So it looks like two keys for me until I can find a match set of locks...
          I'm going to steal the ignition off my '82 750E for the time being...

Darn.
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

@baatfam... Yeah, I ended up doing the same thing. Tried all the tricks but no luck. I ended up getting an new ignition from Powersport. It was only $8 and change. Yeah, I have to carry two keys, but at least i have some piece of mind that this key will go in, start bike, and come out.

Comment

Working...
            X