The GS Curse...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The GS Curse...

Gotta love the GS's electrical system. (1980 gs550E)

Rode my bike 2.5 hrs to a graduation. Went to start it up and the ignition switch didn't turn anything on. As in no lights came on and the starter button didn't work.

Bump started it and it only hit on two cylinders. Smelled burning bakelite. And then it died all together.

Damage: Blew three fuses. Burnt "left" Coil.

Replaced fuses and burnt coil. Now I can't get the "new" coil to fire. 12v at the leads. If i splice the left coil to the right side lead, it fires great.

So I'm not getting any spark to the left side. I highly doubt my signal generator is the failed part because i still get spark on the right coil. Would this be an ignitor problem?
    1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Hi,

See if these help.

Ignitor/Signal Generator/Coil Test

Testing The Ignition System

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

FYI for anyone in the future searching, it was the ignitor.

Comment

GREAT! Glad you sorted it. But what was the cause?? I have not heard of the ignitor taking out multiple fuses and coils. Not saying it didnt happen, just i havent read that particular end product of ignitor failure yet..

Comment

Now fix your R/R because it sounds like you're overcharging.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            Now fix your R/R because it sounds like you're overcharging.
            Actually I'm running one of duanage's honda R/R kits.

At idle i'm at 14.4. Throughout the RPM's it doesn't go over 14.4's. (Checked again after fixing all the issues)

However, when doing all of this work, i did find a wire that had shorted itself to the airbox. It was one that ran from the R/R. I'm betting that wire might have had something to do with it.
            Last edited by brveagle; 06-01-2010, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X