Ignition key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition key

The ignition key on my bike is able to come out of the cylinder when in all position. But the cylinder will only turn with the key in it, so its not in any danger of getting stolen anytime soon.

Any explanation as to why this is happening, and any possible fixes?

Thanks!

Comment

Sorry if I wasn't clear...I don't have the same symptoms.

The key comes out of the ignition fine, but it happens in ANY position (so if the key is in the ON position, I can pull it out just as if it were in PARK). I don't know much about locks, so I'm wondering what would be the cause of the key to come out like that

Comment

Hi,

The key and/or the tumblers in the lock are badly worn. I think you can buy a replacement ignition switch with keys at www.partsnmore.com among others.

Maybe you just need a new key made. There should be a three digit number on one of your bike's locks (ignition, helmet, gas cap). Take that number to a good locksmith and have a new key made. See it that works better.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

@spwalker.... I had the same issue. My key was pretty worn and would turn the ignition switch to all positions and could be pulled out in all positions. Never really gave it much thought until the day that I accidentally put the switch in the PARK position. The key still comes out, but the ignition is permanently stuck in PARK (which locks the wheel at an angle). I have since purchased a new ignition switch and am waiting on arrival (slowly killing me because it's nice and I want to ride).
          Just for grins, I took my ignition to a local locksmith and had him make me a new key which was $5. It did not solve the stuck position situation, but it did eliminate the keys ability to be removed while in the cylinder.

Long story longer... replace the ignition switch

(http://www.amazon.com/Emgo-EMGO-IGNI...5063228&sr=8-1)

and take comfort in the fact that you will get 20+ years of worry-free service from that part....then you just have to worry about the rest of the bike.

Comment

[QUOTE=bighamms;1220512Long story longer... replace the ignition switch

.[/QUOTE]

There is a good chance that getting a new key cut according to the factory pattern rather than just copying the old worn key (by having the locksmith look up the number) could solve the problem.

Once you swap the ignition switch with an aftermarket one you can never match up your key set again.

Comment

Working...
            X