Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short Circuit

Hey everyone,
    Just about to go look at an 1982 GSL 650 that I am thinking about buying. Getting it at a reasonable price I think but it is not running at the moment. I am mechanically inclined and know a few things about electrical work. I, on the other hand am not used to working on motorcycles.

The guy I am buying it from had bought it in running condition and was fixing it up. While he was messing with the fuse box, he had somehow short circuited the system. I am not sure what damage was done and have not seen the motorcycle in person yet.

I know it would be hard to answer without seeing pictures or in person but what kind of damage could there be besides burned up wires that I would need to replace. Just trying to get an idea of how big of a job this might be.

Thanks!

Hi Mr. sspista,

You're right, it's hard to speculate with little information. But if the igniter is fried it will cost several hundred dollars to replace. A new Suzuki OEM unit is about $400. Everything else is relatively inexpensive. Hopefully the only problem is blown fuses.

Anyway, I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I hope it is just the wiring, otherwise I will be asking alot more questions. It not only does not crank over or start but no power comes on when the ignition key is turned on. Possibly a burnt ground or common connection. Fingers crossed. Does anyone know of a place to find a FSM or in depth info on repairs for this model GS. Looking for a cheap/free downloadable version.

Comment

Check out Cliffs site. He should have a manual there.

Be cautious buying a non-runner, hard to tell what else may be wrong with it.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by sspista View Post
          Hey everyone,
          Just about to go look at an 1982 GSL 650 that I am thinking about buying. Getting it at a reasonable price I think but it is not running at the moment. I am mechanically inclined and know a few things about electrical work. I, on the other hand am not used to working on motorcycles.

The guy I am buying it from had bought it in running condition and was fixing it up. While he was messing with the fuse box, he had somehow short circuited the system. I am not sure what damage was done and have not seen the motorcycle in person yet.

I know it would be hard to answer without seeing pictures or in person but what kind of damage could there be besides burned up wires that I would need to replace. Just trying to get an idea of how big of a job this might be.

Thanks!
          worst case is to get a new (or used) harness and a few electrical components like fuse box and R/R.

Comment

Originally posted by sspista View Post
            Does anyone know of a place to find a FSM or in depth info on repairs for this model GS. Looking for a cheap/free downloadable version.
            Hi,

Visit my website for all kinds of useful information.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
            X