Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coil Issue... Again

Hey everyone,

I'm still having problems getting my old 1980 GS 550 to start up. It runs on cyclinders 2 and 3, but not 1 and 4. I took a multimeter and tested the power coming from the connection(where the wires coming off the coil connects with the other wires) and it showed power.

I bought a coil off of a 1983 Suzuki GS 750. I've been told this will work however after connecting it, I took the multimeter and tested the power coming out of the spark plug boot and got nothing.

I've run out of ideas and really need your guys' help to bring this bike back to its glory days!

did you check to see if you are getting a full 12 volts at the coil?

Comment

Hi,

Testing The Ignition System

Ignitor/Signal Generator/Coil Test

See if any of the above information helps.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

BassCliff,

I read through the links and didn't fully understand everything...

I took the spark plug for cyclinder 1 out and ground it and had no spark, then the same thing for cyclinder 4.

I'm not really sure what else to test.

Comment

coil issue

HI, is the ign/sytem original,NOS,aftermarket? I take it you swapped coil W,1&4 & B/Y ,2&3. and thats how you knew wich coil was bad.& as suggested you tested for 12V or thier about at coil o/w +. Also ck ohm readings 3ohm optimal. has this bike had this problem since you owend it or did it happen other ways. need more info on bike for someone to help further. good luck.SAN

Comment

Working...
          X