would this cause my regulator rectifier to burn up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

would this cause my regulator rectifier to burn up

My bracket for my r/r rusted apart and and the rectifier has been sitting on my frame. I never really paid any atention to it. There is a big burnt spot on the frame where it was sitting. Could that cause it to burn out and no longer keep the battery charged.

Originally posted by rushmtrsports View Post
    My bracket for my r/r rusted apart and and the rectifier has been sitting on my frame. I never really paid any atention to it. There is a big burnt spot on the frame where it was sitting. Could that cause it to burn out and no longer keep the battery charged.
    Normally all electronics is shock isolated from the frame. That means it is mounted to something that is mounted in rubber.

If you do a direct frame mount you are subjecting the electronics to heavy vibration that will cause cumulative stress resulting in failure.

Comment

Hi,

After re-mounting your r/r unit, you'll need to go through the Stator Papers to troubleshoot your charging system.

Many models mount the r/r on the battery box because it is connected to the frame with rubber washers. But this tends to make an inferior ground connection for the r/r unit. That's why we all run the ground from the r/r directly to the negative terminal of the battery.

Again, go through the Stator Papers to gain better understanding and for troubleshooting procedures. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
      X