Turn Signals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn Signals

I have a 78 GS1000E. The turn signal control unit is bad. Is there an easy way around this? The part is discontinued and a replacement is over $400 from what I've found. Would the universal turn signals and wiring that they sell solve this problem or am I going to have to dish out the cash for a replacement control unit. I've been watching ebay and such for a used one with no luck, I really don't want to spend $400 on one, that's as much as I paid for the bike lol. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I think you can get one on E-Bay for a reasonable price.
    http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
    1978 GS1000C
    1979 GS1000E
    1980 GS1000E
    2004 Roadstar

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
      I think you can get one on E-Bay for a reasonable

price.
      Sorry,Just re-read your post that you went on E-Bay.They come up from time to time,keep checking.Don't know about alternate sources.Someone else may be able to fill us both in on that.
      http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
      1978 GS1000C
      1979 GS1000E
      1980 GS1000E
      2004 Roadstar

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. traviseckley,

When my stock turn signal relay went out, I bypassed the control unit and installed an off-the-shelf turn signal flasher. See the guide on my website: Turn Signal Relay Replacement. It will disable the "auto-canceling" feature (if you have it). But I don't forget to turn off my blinkers....very often.

Anyway, I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

thanks for the replies everyone. I've been searching the forums and found a post on bypassing the unit, which i'm going to do. I bought the bike for $400 and have rebuilt the motor, new tires, brakes, brake lines, battery, exhaust, and a few other parts. I was getting frustrated with the turn signal problem and didn't want to dish out another $400 to fix it. So far just browsing the forums here I've found more information today than I've found the last couple of years searching the internet. So glad I've stumbled upon this site. I'll post more info and pics of my bike soon. Thanks alot and keep up the great site.

Comment

Hi traviseckley we have same bike and same problem with turn signal control unit. could you share the post you found on bypassing the unit? Waiting on tappet shims to arrive, have replaced front tire and wheel bearings, will be replacing rear tire, bearings , breaks, chain and sprockets. maybe paint? Just got an itch to ride. Good luck with yours. metalman

Comment

Seems he hasn't been on for quite some time now. Have you looked over Basscliff's pages yet?

Welcome to the forum. You might want to start your own thread to ensure you can get the right kind of help.
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks for the welcome. this was my first time at anything on the site, except searching posts threads and consuming everyone's knowledge. I checked out Basscliff's pages and found a replace for a GS850 don't know as that would work for for me as my control unit has two plugs one a 6 wire and the other a 4 wire. Not sure of the GS850 and the 1978 GS 1000E being the same. Hate to be such a newb but how doe's one start their own thread?

Comment

You click what forum topic you want like electrical/ignition and on the top left comer of the screen it says new thread click on it and type your question

Comment

Go into the forum you want - for instance, I'd put a post in the GS Owners forum and click on New Thread. Then take the time to introduce yourself and your bike.

I'd also go into your User CP and add in your location so if anyone's close by they might be able to help out more especially since Arkansas is a pretty big state. Plus, add the bike model into your signature so you don't have to remember to say it and you don't get a million questions asking you for it.

Make sure to throw questions into the right forum - electrical ones go in the electrical forum, carb info in the carb one, etc. Save the General discussion forum for just that - general information not technical stuff.

Welcome again.
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I had, had problems with the self canceling unit on my '78. I replaced it with the unit off my '79 parts bike. It worked ok for several days then started the same erratic operation that happened with the old unit. I was having trouble with some lights in my speedometer, so I replaced the speedometer and my turn signals started working 100% correctly again. Per the wiring diagram for the GS1000E, I noticed there is a distance counter in the circuit for the turn signals in the speedometer. This was the problem, not the self canceling control unit. I have no doubts that the first unit is also good because they both acted the same way. I'll put it to the test when I get my Compufire Regulator later this month and replace the regulator and rectifier. The wiring diagram might give you some ideas on how to handle your problem, because your control unit is quite a bit different from the one on the '80 850.
                      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

'78, '79 GS1000E & '79 GS850 Turn Signal Control Units. A rare or expensive part indeed. I do find them on e-bay from time to time, so far
                        I got 3 bad ones there, most are listed as "Ignitor Units". They're still available from Boulevard Suzuki for $336.49. I now have a collection of
                        six (including the one currently on my bike), 3 are totally dead, the other
                        3 each have something different wrong with them. Eventually I hope to find a working one.
                        sigpic
                        Steve
                        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Here's one,
                          Untested and sold as is, I got 3 from E-bay bad but got my money back, not too sure if you will if you win and it's bad.

sigpic
                          Steve
                          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Working...
                          X