real stupid battery connector/harness question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

real stupid battery connector/harness question

Hi all, thanks for the help in advance. This is probably a real simple problem for most of you, so sorry about that.

I'm at my folks place for the time being, and was in need of a new battery. After doing a few searches the bigcrank seemed real popular so bought one of those. We have no metric wrenches so getting the old battery out was a challenge to say the least. While trying to angle it properly to use the screwdriver the copper connected to the negative lead of the battery snapped (see pictures).

I'm not very experienced with electrical in general, but this is frustrating. The bike is stuck at my folks home for now obviously. The short term solution I was thinking of was looping copper wire over each broken bit, tying it up real nicely with electric tape of course. Obviously this is a short term solution and I'd like to fix it up right. I was fiddling around with the broken piece and couldn't see any easy way to disconnect it from the two wires its attached to right now, didn't want to put any force and risk breaking something/doing something else stupid. See pics below

ps. i had an issue on another thread of my bike not starting properly. Took the battery to get load tested and that was the problem (hence the new battery). Also ordered a new valve cover gasket, bought a set of feeler gauges, have Steve's worksheet, and Bikecliff's to do guides - valves will be done next weekend! My gs650 should be running mint soon, and I want to thank you all for the help

Originally posted by doconabike View Post
    Hi all, thanks for the help in advance. This is probably a real simple problem for most of you, so sorry about that.

I'm at my folks place for the time being, and was in need of a new battery. After doing a few searches the bigcrank seemed real popular so bought one of those. We have no metric wrenches so getting the old battery out was a challenge to say the least. While trying to angle it properly to use the screwdriver the copper connected to the negative lead of the battery snapped (see pictures).

I'm not very experienced with electrical in general, but this is frustrating. The bike is stuck at my folks home for now obviously. The short term solution I was thinking of was looping copper wire over each broken bit, tying it up real nicely with electric tape of course. Obviously this is a short term solution and I'd like to fix it up right. I was fiddling around with the broken piece and couldn't see any easy way to disconnect it from the two wires its attached to right now, didn't want to put any force and risk breaking something/doing something else stupid. See pics below
    Don't try any "short term solution" stuff !

If you jury rig something and the connection breaks, you are setting yourself up to blow up more things ... possibly the R/R, possibly the ignitor.

Not nearly worth the aggravation for some short term gain.

The part that broke is a crimp connector ring terminal. You can probably get the right one at Pep Boys or similar. You need to know the right gauge of wire and screw hole size to get the right one. You can get the old one off using a knife or screw driver and a pair of pliers to bend/pry it open. Your supposed to use special crimping tools to install them, but if you are careful you can install a new one using needle nose pliers.
    Look carefully at your third picture, see how there are two crimps, one on the wire, and one on the insulation. You want to do that when you make your new connection, the crimp on the wire makes the connection, and the one on the insulation acts as a strain relief, keeping the wires inside from breaking.

Someone will probably tell you to solder the connection. DON'T do that. The solder will wick along the wire, making an inch long section of the wire rigid, eventually it will crack an inch in, right where the solder ends and it can bend again.

Comment

Hi,

Agreed. It's not hard. Cut the broken connector off and crimp a new one on. Done! Take the old connector with you to the auto or electronics store to be sure you get the right size. You might have to buy a crimp tool too. But you can use it on the other connectors in your wiring harness as you replace all of the bullet connectors.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Perfect ran by pep boys today picked up a new crimp connector. Snipped off the old one, exposed a little bit of the wire, crimped the connector on, and hooked up the battery. Fired right up

Thanks basscliff n bakalorz

Comment

Working...
        X