No spark :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No spark :(

So i finished rebuilding the engine on my bike ('82 GS550L) and how an having trouble getting a spark. I "thought" that i hooked all up correctly, but i guess i was wrong.
    the starter motor works and there is 12V at each of the coils but it will not spark. I found this disconnected wire:

Does anyone know where this goes?

thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 06-01-2010, 09:13 PM.

It's hard to tell from the picture, but is that wire orange/red? I'm not going to pull the tank just to look, but I remember an "extra" connector down there, and the factory service manual shows an orange/red wire not connected to anything near the LHC plug (see P. 648).

So you have 12V at the coils and the starter turns? Have you tested your sig gen? Ignitor? What are your primary and secondary resistances?

Comment

The wire is orange i believe.

i am not sure how to test my igniter and signal generator. the resistance on the primary side of the coils are around 4.5 ohm. As for the other side of the coils, i want sure how to measure it properly (that or they are shot)

On another note, I am only getting around 10.7V into the igniter....

Comment

look through this page and youll find how to test

Also, make sure you connectors there are connected and that you have good ground on everything down at the battery/fuse block. I had a no spark problem with mine the other day and it turned out the fuse block wasnt grounded (after I painted the battery box) I tested by running a wire from the battery and it all worked good.
        Last edited by Sparky; 06-02-2010, 03:56 AM.
        ---Eric

Comment

so...is that wire just sort of an extra?

Comment

Working...
          X