converting to kick start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

converting to kick start

ive never really worked on bikes but id love to gut under the seat, switch to pod filters and get rid of my battery. problem is i dont know how to conver my gs550 to kick start and havent been able to find much on it. another potential issue is that it takes a good second to start anyway, with some fondling of the choke while laying on the ignition. is it hard to get a kick start started if you are already having a little nudging to get an elec start going?

Originally posted by jstone8952 View Post
    ive never really worked on bikes but id love to gut under the seat, switch to pod filters and get rid of my battery. problem is i dont know how to conver my gs550 to kick start and havent been able to find much on it. another potential issue is that it takes a good second to start anyway, with some fondling of the choke while laying on the ignition. is it hard to get a kick start started if you are already having a little nudging to get an elec start going?
    Well, if the appropriate maintenance has been done (ie, valve adjustment, the leading cause of hard cold starting, and the valves should be checked and or adjusted every 3-4K miles..chances are, your bike has never had one..carbs disassembled, dipped, new orings installed in them and behind the intake boots, the airbox is properly sealed..etc etc.) then your bike shouldnt have any problem starting with a moderate amount of choke.

Also, its not possible to convert your non kickstart 550, to a kickstart. Unless of course you put a pre 80 550 motor in it. Those came with kickers. The kickstarter was done away with in pretty much every GS model by 1980. Its a shame, as I personally think ALL bikes should have a kicker.. but thats just me...

Comment

damn. so i have what im stuck with...
      i guess then what i have to do to get the look i want is hide the battery elsewhere and reroute everything. any write ups on this?

Comment

Don't know if I can find it now, but a couple of years ago on an HD forum there was a company in Holland producing a 'fake' kickstarter which looked like the real thing but when you kicked it, it actually fired the electric starter

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Logan View Post
          Don't know if I can find it now, but a couple of years ago on an HD forum there was a company in Holland producing a 'fake' kickstarter which looked like the real thing but when you kicked it, it actually fired the electric starter
          that would be pretty but wouldnt solve the problem of getting rid of my underseat clutter. id like to see that though sounds neat

Comment

Hi,

If your bike is properly tuned and maintained, you can get away with a little smaller AGM battery hidden under the seat, turned on its side. You can pretty much move everything but the rear master cylinder and hide it under the seat or in a custom tail section.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thread search is your friend. Supposedly it is possible to retro-fit a kick starter onto an 80-82 8V 550 motor, if you find the right parts from a prior year motor. They left the casting on the inside of the case for the kick start mount. You'll need a clutch cover from a 77-79 of course, as well as the kick start assembly. Here's the thread:

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

You can PM neeko maybe to see if he got it working.

THAT having been said, I still don't think you can run without a battery at all. Sure, you won't have to have a battery for charging, but the battery also serves as a sort of ballast for the whole charging system.

Comment

Come on!

It sounds to me like FAR more trouble and expense than it would be worth.
                1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Been some write ups on people hiding gel batteries laid on their side under custom seats... do a search, you'll find it.
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

You can do the kickstart conversion as mentioned above. You need the original parts from an earlier bike and it's a fair bit of work -splitting the cases and the like.

You can also run without a battery - Boyer Bransden do a self contained unit - http://www.boyerbransden.com/pdf/Power_Box_Leaflet.pdf. I've stuck loads on old Brit race replicas.

I had a mate who knows his electronic onions and he made me a 2 part unit for a GS550 out of some gizmos and a capacitor about 2 inches long by a 3/4 inch wide. The parts cost peanuts
                    79 GS1000S
                    79 GS1000S (another one)
                    80 GSX750
                    80 GS550
                    80 CB650 cafe racer
                    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Much easier to buy a 1979 or earlier GS550E. You'll need parts from one to do the conversion, so why not start with one and clean it up?
                      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Working...
                      X