Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Stator Wires?

Good Afternoon everyone,
    I've been lurking here for awhile on the off chance that I could pick up a gs750. Lo and behold magic happened and I was blessed with a mostly intact 78 gs750e.

The wiring harness was off the bike and I'm going through the schematics. I have a new style RR with the three yellow wires.

I don't have three yellow wires coming from the stator, I don't believe.

I have a 'w/b w/g y' wire going to the alternator

A Gy all by his lonesome.

a B wire also by himself.

and a collection of 6 wires coming from the case: Gr, Yb, Brr, Wy, Rb, Gr.

After reading the threads I was under the impression that there were yellow wires coming out of the casing.

If someone could help or direct me to a pertinent thread, I would appreciate it.

I have the diagrams from the manuals, but they're not really showing this.

Thanks,
    -Wil
    1978 gs750e

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Line Producer,

You'll probably want to start with The Stator Papers (link in your "mega-welcome" below) where it explains that the yellow wires are "assumed" as Suzuki used different color wiring just to confuse us, including the extra loop of wire that goes to a (usually) non-existent headlight switch that was used to cut out one leg of the stator when the headlight was turned off on the earlier models. Anyway...

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 06-02-2010, 07:50 PM.

Comment

That bike has extra wires to route to the headlight switch to turn off one leg of the stator (alternator) I expect.
      Most bypass it & then don't turn the light off!!

3 wires from the stator is normal, doesn't matter what colour they are. They are all the same & can go to any of the 3 stator connections on your RR.

Essentially if you have a combination RR (even the 2 part ones are basically the same) then you have 3 inputs for the stator (in any order) plus a live & a ground. Make sure it's well grounded.

Some RR's have a 6 "sense" wire that you have to route to a good (by which I mean one that reads the same voltage as the battery with the ignition on) switched live.
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Assumed to be yellow. Key. Nice.

Out of the six wires that are coming out of the case, which two need to get capped?

Then wire a red from the r/r to the stator R?

Sounds too good to be true.

As an aside, do all GS750's have a point system?

-wil

Comment

The three stator wires should be coming out in the starter cavity Those connect to the regulator

Comment

Nevermind. The strange six pack was the gear indicator loom. Whew. Now back to wiring the custom harness.
            Last edited by Guest; 06-02-2010, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X