Front Brake Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Brake Switch

Okay, I searched the forum and looked at a couple of posts describing how to install the new front brake switch I bought yesterday. After connecting up my wires wrong earlier tonight and blowing a fuse, I bought some new fuses and double checked my wiring. Wiring is connected to the correct colors and I now have all of my lights except one - brake light.

So here's what happened, if I disconnect the front brake light wires, I get a noticeable change in the brake light while depressing the rear brake. If I connect the front brake switch, the back light is brighter than before but I don't see a change from when I touch the brakes to when they are released. I'm thinking maybe I installed the new switch incorrectly not as far as the wires are concerned but as far as the slider portion is. Should I have held the brake switch in when I put that slider up and tightened down the contact? Why else would my tail/brake light be brighter when the wires are connected than when not? I disconnect the white power wire and I see the drop in brightness so it is something with the switch.

Any suggestions?

On Edit: I forgot to add that I didn't start the bike during this time as the kids had already gone to bed (bike parked right next to their window) so if that's a consideration I'll look at it tomorrow.

Thanks
    Scott
    Last edited by cowboyup3371; 06-03-2010, 12:44 AM.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Hi,

It sounds like your front brake switch is making contact all the time. Disassemble it again and make sure that the contact holder moves in the proper slot. Sometimes it helps to turn the whole assembly upside down on the handlebars while you put it back together.

See if this sheds any light:

Front Brake Switch Repair
    (by Mr. gravity tester)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks Basscliff and I did look at that first before posting. I was thinking the same thing but unfortunately, your pictures didn't show how to re-insert everything so I was a little lost. I found another post that did but that caused me to ask if I should have pulled in the lever while installing it. I'll take it apart tomorrow afternoon again before Cdnoel and I ride (my first long ride on the highway) and see what happens.

Thanks
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Hi,

Upon reassembling my bike after my crash last summer, I had the exact same issue with my front brake switch. The brake light was on all the time and it took me a little troubleshooting to figure it out. If you take the switch apart again and observe the moving parts inside as you pull the lever, you'll be able to figure out how the contact installs so as to move on and off the switch's contact points.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Are there any good aftermarket replacements. These switches are prone to corosion. Maybe a lever/ switch combo? I have changed a few and always kicked myself for not trying something else. And for some reason I always lose the pieces when I open it

Comment

Originally posted by ncmoto View Post
            Are there any good aftermarket replacements. These switches are prone to corosion. Maybe a lever/ switch combo? I have changed a few and always kicked myself for not trying something else. And for some reason I always lose the pieces when I open it
            There are hydraulic pressure switches available from Z1. They replace your banjo bolt at the master cylinder.

Comment

Working...
            X