Starter relay solenoid test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter relay solenoid test

Good evening. I would appreciate some help, as there is no sign of life as I push the starter button.
    I had everything, except the engine, taken apart and painted the frame.
    When I came to the point when I had wired every up except the tail light and rear signals, I turned the key and tried the lights and pushed the starter button for a sec. It worked then, but not now..

*Lights are working: Long, short, turn signals, break
    *12,5V on a new battery.
    *Hand start switch and start button inspected and contacts cleaned.
    *Starter motor starts when connected with a wire directly to battery +
    *Starter motor starts when the 2 poles on the starter relay are hot wired.
    *Connections in the headlamp and in the fuse box checked (the bullet connectors should probably be replaced, as they are old).

It looks to me as the problem is the starter relay solenoid. But can I do some tests to make sure, before I order a new?

I just realise the obvious. And checked the command wire with the voltmeter. The relay doesn't receive a signal from the starter button!
    Hmm - back to checking wire connections then.

Comment

Do you still have your clutch "safety" switch in the circuit?

In stock configuration, you need to pull the clutch lever to be able to use the electric starter. The ignition key needs to be ON, the engine stop ("kill") switch needs to be ON, the clutch needs to be pulled, then you can use the electric starter.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'm not sure if I have that clutch safety, but I have tried starting with the clutch pulled. But it's something I will check after work tomorrow. Maybe the cable is too loose.
        I'll be back with the result.

Comment

After 3 days of voltmeter madness and wire connection frustration, I fell over the thread describing the exact same thing I was experiencing. It was just a stupid broken fuse.

Lesson learned, thank you Wump

Comment

Working...
          X