Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's some pictures to give you an idea of what she looks like:

The day I first got her...

That's 2,000 miles... (it sat for 8 years...)

Cleaning

After it sat for 11 hours in the carb-cleaning solution

And the other carburetor is currently soaking up goodness. It's unbelievable how much cleaner they got after all the work I put into them with just carb cleaner.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-13-2010, 02:24 AM.

Comment

( preceeded by sware word, said loudly, showing extreme surprise) That bike belongs in a museum! I'm really glad you are doing the carbs and adjusting the valves. You should check the date codes on those tires. They could be origional. 25-30 year old tires aren't safe.

From what I have observed herethe last year here is that, 450's aren't as popular as the liter and up bikes, and L models aren't as sought after. Your motorcycle deserves anyones attention, it's in nice shape! Great find and worthy of what ever work you put into it. I like it and I'm an E & G man.

cg
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
        ( preceeded by sware word, said loudly, showing extreme surprise) That bike belongs in a museum! I'm really glad you are doing the carbs and adjusting the valves. You should check the date codes on those tires. They could be origional. 25-30 year old tires aren't safe.

From what I have observed herethe last year here is that, 450's aren't as popular as the liter and up bikes, and L models aren't as sought after. Your motorcycle deserves anyones attention, it's in nice shape! Great find and worthy of what ever work you put into it. I like it and I'm an E & G man.

cg
        Thanks cg, it was a good find, even though it was my uncles. Oh, and the tires are original... My friend told me that I should be fine on the roads but I beg to differ. 29 year old tires going 65 MPH on the highway.. Yeah, not so much.

Comment

Nate,

Keep us posted as you go along.

cg
          sigpic
          83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by knight_rider View Post
            So I fired my bike up the other day and let it ran for about 5 minutes because I had fuel injector cleaner in it, I come back out side and find my left side exhaust pipe is PURPLE, AND BLUE, AND VERY, VERY HOT!!! While the right side exhaust pipe is not discolored and not very hot! CRAP!!! I was letting the bike run a bit to let the cleaner get in the engine and the carbs because it idles very rough and high. WHAT TO DO!? I check the spark plugs and they are just fine. (I did this by taking one at a time out and resting them on one of the fins of the engine while watching for a spark.) Any ideas??? I'm at a loss of what to do and I don't want to take it in somewhere.

Thanks!!
            Welcome Knightrider!

You probably know this but these bikes are air-cooled. If you plan on letting it run to work on it (more than just a couple of minutes), get a big fan blowing on the engine or it will ALWAYS get really hot.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by ryonker View Post
              Welcome Knightrider!

You probably know this but these bikes are air-cooled. If you plan on letting it run to work on it (more than just a couple of minutes), get a big fan blowing on the engine or it will ALWAYS get really hot.

Rick
              Yeah, I should have known that before I started the bike up.

So the carbs are all clean, they both sat in the carb-dip for a little over 10 hours. And holy guacamole, are they ever c-l-e-a-n!!

Comment

dang, those are spotless, good job there....

Comment

Originally posted by SKD View Post
                  dang, those are spotless, good job there....
                  Thank you! I'm hoping it will do the trick when I put everything back together. I don't feel like taking them off again.

Comment

Dont start it without the air cleaner/filter, it will run like crap without it.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                      Dont start it without the air cleaner/filter, it will run like crap without it.
                      That is currently on order being shipped from BikeBandit.com... By the way, how do I oil it? People comment on how it should be oil, how would I go about doing that?

Comment

I picked up a spray can of oil made by K&N , just for air filters, at the local cycle shop. Spray it on the outside of foam. Not too much. I'm sure there are other types as well.

Are you replacing the o-rings in the carbs and at the intake boots?

cg
                        Last edited by Charlie G; 06-15-2010, 12:46 AM.
                        sigpic
                        83 GS1100g

Comment

Working...
                        X