odd noise behind ignition cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

odd noise behind ignition cover

The other day my 79' 850 started making a strange noise that seems to be coming from behind my ignition cover. It's a rubbing sound, soft, nothing loud and "oh my god what has happened", but the fast the bike goes the fast the sound goes. I took it all apart and couldn't find anything that seemed to jump out at me. I was able to replicate the noise when I first had the cover off with my ratchet but after adjusting the points it seemed gone until I rode the her, now it's more consistent than before. Any thoughts on what it could be. There's not too much behind the cover. It started when I was out on my road trip, here and there. Now it's regular.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Maybe your advance is rubbing on the crank seal?
    I hope it's not a crank bearing.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Check the stops for the advance mechanism. If one is broken, the counter weight will fly out too far and start smacking stuff......Billy

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        Maybe your advance is rubbing on the crank seal?
        I hope it's not a crank bearing.
        Don't those usually sound more like a whirrr or a whine? I've never heard a bad roller crank bearing, just asking for my own knowlege. Insert bearings? Oh yeah. Sound like a jackhammer but what's a roller sound
        lke when it goes bad?

Comment

Yer felt's dry.

There's a little wad of felt on the points that's supposed to have a wee bit of oil in it so that the points arm can glide smoothly.

Put a few drops of oil on the felt.

You'll also want to re-adjust the points -- the points arm is likely worn.

Or just order up a Dyna electronic ignition and dispense with all this points crap.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            Yer felt's dry.

There's a little wad of felt on the points that's supposed to have a wee bit of oil in it so that the points arm can glide smoothly.

Put a few drops of oil on the felt.

You'll also want to re-adjust the points -- the points arm is likely worn.

Or just order up a Dyna electronic ignition and dispense with all this points crap.
            Ya, my Dyna is in the mail from Z1. Till then I'll put a drop of oil on. I've reset the points with no real improvement. Took her out today and although that sound is there intermitantly it also sounds like my valves need doing..again. Now I did them a month and a half, maybe two ago. Since then I've put on approx. 6-7'000 KM's. I'm curious how many miles go inbetween valve jobs? I should have bbought the reusable valve cover gasket. Good something more to buy.
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Valve clearance checks are every 4,000 miles.

You can re-use a stock gasket several times. The Realgasket is well worth the few extra bucks, though -- I think it's around $45 delivered for the valve cover and breather cover gaskets, and they'll last a lifetime.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
              X