Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laid it over gentle, now won't turn over..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow read te manual and im wrong
    got to take te cover off

Comment

Hmm, sounds like I may have a different setup where my starter is located? I attached a pic of what I am looking at. There are two long phillips head "bolts" about 5 inches long that appear to be holding the starter itself together (assuming cap to body that may come apart?) The starter itself looks like it would have to be bolted through the side cover where the stator is located? I can't see anywhere else it would be attached. I can get at the top "bolt" pretty easily with a long Phillips head screw driver I think, that other one is buried down in that dugout pretty well.

Comment

Try one more thing before you pull the starter. Take the sheet metal cover off to expose the starter. Take a small hammer and give the starter a few good taps. I have done this numerous times to get a questionable starter working. I guess the brushes arc to the armeture then wont spin the motor. No harm if it doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by Joel750T View Post
          Hmm, sounds like I may have a different setup where my starter is located? I attached a pic of what I am looking at. There are two long phillips head "bolts" about 5 inches long that appear to be holding the starter itself together (assuming cap to body that may come apart?) The starter itself looks like it would have to be bolted through the side cover where the stator is located? I can't see anywhere else it would be attached. I can get at the top "bolt" pretty easily with a long Phillips head screw driver I think, that other one is buried down in that dugout pretty well.

um the manual shows it quite well
          starter is bolted down with tab off the motors housing

you should look at the procedure for removal there

pg 53 has a top down view

Comment

Perfect, page 53! Didn't realize there were two vertical bolts there. I will have to invest in a pocket mirror to see down there. Thought for sure I would have to pull that side cover to release something in there. Once again, thank you. Feels like yet another 10mm, but I need a short extension. I see now how that tensioner comes into play.

"Remove starter motor cover and starter motor" They must have been trying to save ink

Old_chopper: Wacked at it last night with the socket wrench. My dad had an, err, pacer that needed that "treatment" on a regular basis. I was 8 or 9 and he put a smiley face sticker on the top so I knew right where to wack it in the parking lot so he didn't have to get out.

Also, just posted that I need a starter in the items wanted forum in case anyone like to rebuild starters...
            Last edited by Guest; 06-17-2010, 11:12 PM.

Comment

So, any tricks to getting the starter out? Manual seems to be covering a complete engine dissambly so not sure how much of that I actually have to do? Previous page is pulling oil pumps and following pages talk about flipping the engine over to remove the oil pan... I have the two bolts out that are vertical. It slides back about 1/4 inch and stops. I don't want to start wacking on it if that stator cover needs to come off and something be released. I searched for "remove starter" and couldn't find anything relevant. Experienced suggestions appreciated as always!

Comment

slide it all the way to the right and then lift up(some angle) and out.
                the o-ring can cause initial problems when trying to slide the starter to the right.
                nothing will fall out and the stator cover does not have to be removed.
                carbs on makes it a pain but it can be done.
                cable removed and battery disconnected of course.

Comment

Thank you very much. Came out easy as pie. I am a measure twice and cut once kind of person and didn't want to booger anything worse than what I already have. Starter still won't spin by the way when connected to the battery, so looks like I got the right part.

In case anyone is having problems getting it out and reads this post some day, I slid starter inboard, rotated it upside down so the tabls would clear over the case, back end up as high as it would go, rotated clockwise as far as it would go then lifted up the gear end with my finger under it and it popped right out. Did not need to disconnect carbs or cam tensioner or anything else. Thanks everyone.

Comment

evil evil concidence
                    glad you stepped though the pain

and did not succumb to the many gs superstars who believe that gutting and complete rebuild is an acceptable notion of troubleshooting

did you break the starter down yet?

I would be careful if i was you
                    I still think there may be binding int he starter clutch assembly

Comment

Not yet on the starter breakdown. What should I be looking for when I watch out for the starter clutch assembly? Any particular symptoms or things to watch out for?

Comment

gosh i dunno
                        when you spun the thing manualy was there any binding or newish noises?

if you can open the starter and rund down a basis check ont he brushes and commutator it will show us somnething

my guess its a crappy wastelan in there

Comment

Working...
                        X