Spark Plug Wire Configuration Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spark Plug Wire Configuration Help

Hello all. My Left coil has two spark plug wires, the left is labeled 2/4 and the right is labeled 1/3. Same on the Right coil, the left wire is labeled 2/4 and the right is 1/3. My question is which wire goes to which cylinder, assuming the cylinders are number left to right 1,2,3,4. Any help would be appreciated. Thanx!

leftmost is 1-3

right should be 2-4

seems you had some spare replacement in the past

Comment

Screw that wrong info... Your GS regardless of what the NON original coils say The left coil goes to Cyl 1 & 4 The right coil goes to cyl 2 & 3

Comment

Originally posted by Calvin Blackmore View Post
        leftmost is 1-3

right should be 2-4

seems you had some spare replacement in the past
        Sorry, but this is WRONG!!!

The left coil fires 1 and 4.

The right coil fires 2 and 3.

Yes, you are correct, the cylinders are numbered 1 through 4, left to right, as you sit on the bike.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Awesome, it seems my #2 and #3 wires were backwards. Can anyone confirm that the #2 wire is always on the same side as the positive(+) lead. As well as the #3 wire always being on the same side as the negative(-) lead. Thanx again.

Comment

The two wires on each coil do not care which cylinder they go to, but you will find that one is usually longer than the other.

For example, on the left coil, the shorter wire will go to #1, the longer one will go to #4.
            On the right coil, the shorter one will go to #3, the longer one will go to #2.

If you happen to swap the wires for 1&4 or 2&3, the only thing that will happen is that one of the wires will be tight and the other will have a bit of "extra" length.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Sorry, but this is WRONG!!!

The left coil fires 1 and 4.

The right coil fires 2 and 3.

Yes, you are correct, the cylinders are numbered 1 through 4, left to right, as you sit on the bike.

Thats correct. Your outer 2 cyls fire at the same time and your inner ones fire at the same time. Im not sure if 1&4 are on opposite cycles or not the same for 2&3, but they connect to the same coil, and are on the same position on the crank. I imagine I could get unlazy and look at the cam once.

Comment

Working...
              X