Spark with no battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spark with no battery?

So Im restoring a '79 GS550 and I havent yet purchased a battery but i notice that when I lay a plug on the engine and i kickstart, there is no spark. I would think it wouldn't need a battery to spark using the kick. Am I wrong? Is it time to troubleshoot the wiring??

Yes, you do need a battery to get spark.

This isn't a magneto setup like a Briggs and Stratton.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

well, on my 78' GS I don't have a battery and it has spark...and it runs
      ??

Comment

If it runs without the battery It has to have some type of capasitor

Comment

Isnt the condensor just a capacitor? or do you mean some other one?

Comment

um the bike has no magneto or other electrical device
            on old dirtbikes you got spark cos electricity came diectly from a magneto

the battery is an integral part of the system on your bike soooooooooooo
            no bat no spark

Comment

If the bike isnt producing electricity somewhere, how is it charging the battery?

Comment

It produces it in the stator but only once it's spinning at a decent RPM & doesn't supply enough to charge the coils on a kickover far as I know.

The battery is like a huge capacitor, the charging circuit charges the battery.
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Very interesting and good to know, I wonder how goggleboy's runs without the battery. Maybe its some kind of mod?

Comment

Typically most charging systems charge the battery and take voltage off of it. Then you get others that run like a dirt bike charging system. Its a use it or lose it kind of system. No battery involved at all.

Comment

What if batt is dead?

Okay what if your battery is dead would you be able to still get the bike kick started? If not what is the point of the kick start?

Comment

Electric starters used to be relatively unreliable. Also, bikes always had a kickstarter. Notice 79 was the last year for them.
                        A small bit of trivia, the Suzuki two strokes had the kickstarter on the left side, not sure why. Everyone else had them on the right.

Comment

Originally posted by Redneck View Post
                          Okay what if your battery is dead would you be able to still get the bike kick started? If not what is the point of the kick start?

it is so you can look manly
                          it is so while madly kicking a wet incalcitrant machine you can have the rubber work off the kicker and drive your foot full force into the pavement thus causing you to fall to the ground gagging in pain (happened to me once on a single cyl dirt bike )

I think they kept kick starts in case the starter failed not the battery
                          my bike terrified me when i saw there was no kick start
                          not that kicking over a 4 cylinder bike is fun
                          hell bump starting is easier

Comment

Originally posted by Calvin Blackmore View Post
                            it is so you can look manly
                            it is so while madly kicking a wet incalcitrant machine you can have the rubber work off the kicker and drive your foot full force into the pavement thus causing you to fall to the ground gagging in pain (happened to me once on a single cyl dirt bike )

I think they kept kick starts in case the starter failed not the battery
                            my bike terrified me when i saw there was no kick start
                            not that kicking over a 4 cylinder bike is fun
                            hell bump starting is easier
                            your tellin me.. it was 96 degrees that day, and I was out the driveway kicking this thing 15 times...talk about work!

Comment

What is the correct procedure for safely bump-starting?
                              1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                              1983 GS 1100 G
                              2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                              2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                              1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Working...
                              X