Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gauge Cluster Voltage Reference

I am not producing these; it is based on the following part

Part #: MIC2937A-5.0BT. Description: 750mA Low-Dropout Voltage Regulator. File Size: 128.86 Kbytes. Manufacturer: Micrel Semiconductor.

I have been irritated by the bounce in my electric gauges. I found that much of the problem is coming from the charging system R/R which is a chopping controller and does not provide a smooth output. here is some typical noise coming out of the R/R (0.5V per division)

I scrounged around for some parts to make a +12V reference regulator (low drop out) that would supply the gages on my ED. I ended up with some extra so i could make about 25 of these if there is interest. For the time and material it takes to do this, I would want about $30.0 to deliver CONUS it. So PM me if anybody is interested.

Any problems MONEY BACK for 1 year.

It is possible this would help the electronic gauges but someone will have to check to see if 500 mAmps is sufficent.

SEE_DETAILS_HERE

The regulator is protected for over voltage, short circuit , over current and thermal overload. It is made for Automotive applications and is a -40 to +125DegC part.

It is Low Drop Out (LDO) which means it will regulate with as little as +12.5V input. A GS noise level is minimal at this voltage because the R/R is not regulating yet.

I did a rev test with both gauges grounded and it worked great. Will be doing a road test as soon as it is installed on the bike.

Gauge Cluster Voltage Reference
    Fits: GS 82-83 1100EZ/ED
    82 GS750EZ
    (Or any other source needing steady +12V at 0.5 Amps)

Eliminates guage bounce due to chopping voltages from the R/R
    High bandwidth regulator (10 KHz) to provide a quiet filtered voltage to the gauges.
    Low Drop out design, Full operation with +12.5V from R/R Most noise is at high RPM operation when voltages are 14V and above.
    Max output current 500 mAmps
    (I measured my gauges and with both sensors grounded the max current was 350 mAmps.
    Input voltage +12 to 17Volts (It will handle anything the Standard GS will dish out)
    Designed for extended temp operations
    Parts are all -40 to +125DegC

Everything should tuck in nicely and the cover can be installed with nothing showing from the outside.

SEE_DETAILS_HERE
    Last edited by posplayr; 06-02-2012, 05:54 PM.

Jim, not to sound silly, but what exactly are you referring to with electric bounce? Flickering gauge lights?

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
      Jim, not to sound silly, but what exactly are you referring to with electric bounce? Flickering gauge lights?
      Joe

I have alot of needle movement which is not from road bumps. It is movement from R/R electical noise. On a recent ride at a stop light my gas gauge was moving a quarter tank as my blinker blinked. Most of of this will disappear. The gauges have dampning built in with a small amount of oil in the gauge. Once the oil goes dry the gauges become morst sensitive.

Jim

Comment

Jim,
        Is this caused by the series regulator or was it present on the shunt regulator as well?
        Just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
          Jim,
          Is this caused by the series regulator or was it present on the shunt regulator as well?
          Just wondering.
          Both are probaly going to be the same. The picture was actually off of the SHUNT FH012AA.

I got it installed last nite. The gas level still jiggles alot when parked so that moves the needle. The temperature seem more stable. I guess a very slow time constant op amp circuit would work.

Comment

Working...
          X