• Show
Clear All

Bad conncetion Ign switch to harness

Hi:

Having fun on ye olde bike of late
    but had an odd thing happen saturday

bike refused to start
    refused to light up anything

so I open the buckect and check my wiring and giving it a twist the small park light come on making me realize there is an intermittent fault,

Looked at the green plastic connector between the ignition swotch and wiring harness and noted it had a bit of heat distortion

could not seperate the halfs so sniped the wires

tied the orange and red together and got a very bright park light and lo and behold
    cranking ans starting like a beast

One of the wires actually pulled out of the grren connector the corrosion had degraded things that badly

it is strange cos I am certain I did this connection with cleaner and dielectric grease a few yres ago

anyway maybe if yah got gremlins bypass the switch completely and do a nice jumpering of the appropriate leads

the ignition circuit makes a heck of a rout throught the system its quite amazing all the many points of failure

now to do the coil relay mod
    and get some Gm weatherpack 4 lead connectors for my switch

Amen, brutha! TELL IT!

(The electrical components are fine on these bikes -- it's the damn connectors and 30 years of corrosion...)
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I had problems with my Ign switch many years ago. was loosing about 1.5 volts Did a relay MOD so the system would get full voltage

Comment

That same connector fried on mine, where the switch was on all the time. I removed the connector, it's all connected with heavy weatherproof spade clips there now.

Comment

LOL. just went through the same repair.

Comment

Replace both sides with a male and female fastin/faston (spade) connector, the pins carrying all the current to and from the switch are just a tad too light to last more than 30 years!

Comment

Working...
            X