New coils - still lose 1&4 after bike is hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
    Is this bike charging. The correlation is notworthy but the only theory for that correlation is the bike can't flash the blinker when the engine is running powering both coils.

Do a little test.

Let bike cool

see if blinkers work with engine off.
    start bike on all 4 test blinker again. If it doesnt work
    bike off again see if blinks.

You may just have a bad charging.

Do you have a volt meter?
    So, didn't get a chance to check the ignition wires today, but did check the blinkers this morning.

The bike had set overnight, and was plenty cool. Turned key to on position, checked blinkers, no go. Started bike and let it run for a bit, all four cylinders were firing....still no go on the blinkers.

Shut the bike off, tired again, still no blinkers. Wiggled various wires around to see if it might be a connection issue, but noting changed.

I'll check things over with a meter tomorrow.

G

Comment

So I got around to testing things today, and found this jewel after taking off wads of e-tape:

So, on to the info and hopefully a diagnosis.

With the bike just sitting there, no key on or anything, the battery voltage is 11.81. When I run the bike at 4000rpm, the VDC is 121.5.

Resistance between stator wires was:
      Y-BW: 8.1
      Y-GW: 8.1
      GW-BW: 7.9

I swapped in a fresh battery and ran the bike at 4k rpm and tested the voltage at the stator wires and it was only about 8v or so, withing a few V at each wire combo.

So this leads me to think the stator is kaput, no?

Thanks,
      Gavin

Voltage reading from Dyna at black and white wires was 11.03 on both of them.

Comment

Hi,

Is the stator completely disconnected?

Are you getting 8 ohms between the stator legs?

Are you getting 8 volts AC?

Keep up the good work.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

It does sound like a bad stator!!! You did check it as an AC voltage output from the stator ??. I would also check the accuracy of your meter.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
            Hi,

Is the stator completely disconnected?

Are you getting 8 ohms between the stator legs?

Are you getting 8 volts AC?

Keep up the good work.

BassCliff
            The stator was completely disocnnected when I did the tests.

The resistance was between the stator legs.

I measured VDC, not AC, so I'll check that tomorrow.

What brank(Ricks, RM, or Electro) would you all recommend for a stator?

Thanks,
            Gavin

Comment

I've got a stator from Rick's on order, I'll double check the Vac at lunch time.

Do you think that a malfunctioning stator could be causing the other electrical issues? As in 1&4 cutting out when warm, the signlas not working when cold, but working when hot?

On my Landcruiser, I had some alternator issues and since the various other electrical components werent getting the required power, it was causing all sorts of other issues...I'm wondering if this is a similar situation.

Thanks,
              Gavin

Comment

Hi,

If the battery is really low the lights and blinkers can act erratically. I'm not saying that it's the cause of your other issues, but you must ensure that your charging system is healthy before other issues can be worked out. You're doing fine. Keep up the good work.

#1 & #4 not firing intermittently could be an igniter or signal generator. Let's get your charging system squared away, then work on the ignition.

BassCliff
                Last edited by Guest; 06-28-2010, 01:46 PM.

Comment

I checked the AC voltage at lunch, and all three leg combos were reading at ~20v.

That is with a fresh battery and the proper RPMs.

Comment

Hi,

Yeah, that's not really enough output for a stator. It should be around 70VAC.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                      Hi,

Yeah, that's not really enough output for a stator. It should be around 70VAC.

BassCliff
                      Figured as much.

I've based the troubleshooting off your webpage, and will be basing the R&R of it off your page as well!

Thanks for the tech advice.

Once I get this taken care of, I'll report back on the status of the bike.

Comment

Did you test them with the meter set on A/C?
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                          Did you test them with the meter set on A/C?
                          Yes, initially I had tested them on DC.

Today at lunch, I tested them on AC, and that is when I got the 20v AC reading.

Comment

Originally posted by Fergie View Post
                            Yes, initially I had tested them on DC.

Today at lunch, I tested them on AC, and that is when I got the 20v AC reading.
                            What RPM did you get that reading at?
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                              What RPM did you get that reading at?
                              Appox. 5,000rpm.

Comment

Originally posted by Fergie View Post
                                Appox. 5,000rpm.
                                Powdered Toast then

Comment

Working...
                                X