No announcement yet.

New coils - still lose 1&4 after bike is hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I'm feeling dumb....I had the meter on DC again.

I just ran the bike at 5k, and was getting about 69-71 AC volts...I checked with 2 different meters, so I'm confident this time.

So, I ran all the tests again, the resistance was 1.2 between legs and infinity to ground....maybe not the stator?

I am lost here! I'm taking the bike for a ride to get it warm and see if it malfunctions.

Comment

Hi,

Those numbers look good, but will they stay consistent? If there are any melted windings, as it warms up it will start shorting and the output will decrease. Are you sure all of the connections are clean? The connections through the fuse box between the r/r output and the battery (+) are especially critical.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
        Hi,

Those numbers look good, but will they stay consistent? If there are any melted windings, as it warms up it will start shorting and the output will decrease. Are you sure all of the connections are clean? The connections through the fuse box between the r/r output and the battery (+) are especially critical.

BassCliff
        Ok, so I took the bike for a test drive, with the wiring sort of cobbled together(I'll need help on this; pictures forth coming.)

The bike ran great for a bit, then 1 and 4 died as usual. I had my meter with me this time though, and checked the stator.

1.2 ohms across the legs, infinity to the ground.

70v AC at 5000rpm across the legs.

So, I'm thinking I need to test power to the coils, and then the ignition as well, is this correct?

As a side note - The blinkers functioned just fine, when the bike was running on all four, and when running on two. The foot brake lights the rear, but not the hand(I'm thinking this has to do with the wiring though.)

Please check back in a moment for pictures of my wiring conundrum.

Comment

So I am really screwed up on my wiring and need some assistance big time. I tried to clean things up with new connectors, and then got distracted by a 2 year old and dinner, and tried as I might, I couldn't get things straight.

Please help!

These two wires are coming from the finned item mounted to the underside of the battery:

These three are coming from the rear of the bike...at least I think they are:

I put new connectors on the three wires from the stator. I've got the yellows connected to each other, and then the W/B from the finned item under the battery box connected to the stator.

So, where do the two extra wires from the finned item go to? And where do the three wires go to?

Now, on to the coil debacle.

The red wire on the right side of the splice connector run from beneath the tank area, back to the relay near the battery:

The white wire with the splice connector on it ran to the coils. There was another splice connector at the end to split the wire to the two coils. I removed the splice at the end, and put on one new connector. The small red wire is coming from the Dyna unit.

I then wired the black wire from one coil and the white wire from the other coil in to one connector, and connected this to the white wire:

I then wired the two orange and white wires from each coil into one connector, and connected those to the orange and white wire below(second one in from left):

I have no clue what the other three wires are for, or if I have mine done correctly.

Here is the other *fun* part to this all...I'm really really red-green color blind, so bear with me if I call things out incorrectly.

So where have I screwed the wiring up? What more info do you need? What needs to change?

Thanks a TON.

Gavin

Comment

read this for connections to the R/R (the finned device) .

There is is a loop that runs to the headlamp switch that should be omitted.

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

Posplayr - I read through you thread a few times, and forgive the ignorance, but I did not find a section that omitted any loops. I'm afraid you'll have to break it farther down in layman terms for me, or explain the intuitive items that I am missing.

I'm at the point right now where my bike won't run, so I need to get that sorted first.

I'm in dire need of help right now, and appreciate all the helpful advice given previously.

Thanks,
              Gavin
              Last edited by Guest; 06-29-2010, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fergie View Post
                Posplayr - I read through you thread a few times, and forgive the ignorance, but I did not find a section that omitted any loops. I'm afraid you'll have to break it farther down in layman terms for me, or explain the intuitive items that I am missing.

I'm at the point right now where my bike won't run, so I need to get that sorted first.

I'm in dire need of help right now, and appreciate all the helpful advice given previously.

Thanks,
                Gavin
                I clairified the instructions but ended up putting them in the wrong place

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

Hi,

In the above picture, it looks like you have two input legs of the r/r connected to one output leg of the stator. Not good.

The r/r should have three input wires that connect directly to the three output wires from the stator. The r/r input wires may not match the colors of the stator output wires. Yes, do away with that useless loop of wire going up to the probably non-existent headlight switch.

The three stator output wires should connect directly to the three r/r input wires. The r/r will also have a red output wire which goes to the battery through the fuse box. The r/r also has a ground wire which should be connected directly to the negative terminal of the battery. If your r/r has a 6th wire, (not stock) then that's the sense wire and gets connected to a switched 12v source.

Please have a look on my website and read the stator and r/r replacement guides. I documented removing the headlight loop from the circuit and took lots of pictures. See also Mr. duaneage's diagram for stator and r/r connections. Trace your wires so that you are sure of where they are coming from.

Note that the above diagram is for one of Mr. duaneage's 6 wire r/r units. Please disregard the blue connections if your r/r has only 5 wires.

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks! That will help tonight.

Any insight to the wiring near the coils?

Comment

Hi,

Here's another picture I just doctored up.

BassCliff

Comment

Hi,

Is that a "coil relay mod"? It looks like it. Read up on the coil relay mod information on my website to get an understand of what's going on there.

And come to think of it, your bike probably has a separate regulator and rectifier. This complicates matters just a little, only because I've never dealt with separate r+r units. Do you have an extra $40 to get one of Mr. duageage's units? It would simplify matters.

BassCliff
                        Last edited by Guest; 06-29-2010, 04:57 PM.

Comment

This is a scan of my wiring diagram for the bike:

I definitely have a separate regulator and recitfier.

For the coil relay mod, the previous owner cobbled somethign together; I'll be re-doing it per your website and a better relay.

From the picture in post #53, I've got the yellow wire from the regulator, the yellow wire from the rectifier, and the yellow wire from the stator connected to each other.

I then have the Bl/W from stator connected to the Bl/W of the rectifier.

What do I do with the 3rd leg of the stator?

What do I do with the red and red/white wire from the rectifier?

Where are the headlight loop wires? Are those the leftover three that I found?

Comment

Hi,

The picture of your wiring diagram is a little small. But you are correct in that one leg of the stator connects to both the regulator and rectifier. It seems you do have a loop of wire going to a headlight switch. Is there a physical headlight switch on your bike?

I'll study the diagram some more when I get home from work. I'm just about outta here.

BassCliff

Comment

So I dug a little farther in to the wiring tonight. These two Or/W wires merge into one, which goes to the kill switch. Dont mind the connectors, I put them on to keep track of things.

What do I need to do to these two? Does it need to connect back in somehow to make the kill switch operational?

The black and white wires you see here go to the Dyna.

I traced them up the harness, and they connect to the coils now, white to one, black to the other.

Still not sure where these three go:

Still trying to sort out the previously done relay mod so I can do it better.

I've contacted Duaneage about the combo R/R.

Comment

Those two O/W wires should power your coils.
                                The last pic look like either the stator wires or the Regulator.
                                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                                X