No announcement yet.

New coils - still lose 1&4 after bike is hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, got everything, save those two O/W wires back together, and the bike is running properly(just a quick start up to make sure).

Took some time with the voltmeter and testing continuity to find out what went where, but got it done! I even got the wires from the stator to the R&R done properly!

I've got to sort out those two random O/W, but while the bike was running, they both had 12v to them, so I am thinking they should be the coil returns coming from the handlebars, is that correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Fergie View Post
      Now, on to the coil debacle.

The red wire on the right side of the splice connector run from beneath the tank area, back to the relay near the battery:

The white wire with the splice connector on it ran to the coils. There was another splice connector at the end to split the wire to the two coils. I removed the splice at the end, and put on one new connector. The small red wire is coming from the Dyna unit.

I then wired the black wire from one coil and the white wire from the other coil in to one connector, and connected this to the white wire:

I then wired the two orange and white wires from each coil into one connector, and connected those to the orange and white wire below(second one in from left):

I have no clue what the other three wires are for, or if I have mine done correctly.

Here is the other *fun* part to this all...I'm really really red-green color blind, so bear with me if I call things out incorrectly.

So where have I screwed the wiring up? What more info do you need? What needs to change?

Thanks a TON.

Gavin
      looking at these pictures it appears as if the PO took the brute force approach to wiring. The coil relay mod and the DynaS. What that means is they avoided the OE wiring (which are now not connected to anything) and ran additional wires from the Dyna and the coil relay.

That means that you will have a spare pair of O/W wires near the (+)coil as well as the spare W and B which were the (-) sides for the coils

Comment

Definitely took the brute force approach. I left most of it in place tonight, but when I re-wire the new RR in, I intend to take care of the coil relay mod the right way.

After tonight, I only have the left-over o/w wires, the B and W going to the Dyna have been resolved properly.

Comment

Sounds like you finally had your moment of clarity.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            Sounds like you finally had your moment of clarity.
            Somewhat.

We'll see how it goes once the RR is here.

Comment

Definitely took the brute force approach. I left most of it in place tonight, but when I re-wire the new RR in, I intend to take care of the coil relay mod the right way.

After tonight, I only have the left-over o/w wires, the B and W going to the Dyna have been resolved properly.
              this might be of interest

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

One thing that I havent followed either, is the fact that I do not have any type of fusebox....or at least one that I've found.

I only have a one OE in-line fuse, and then one fuse for the relay mod; should there be more in there, or am I not looking over the bike completely?

Thanks,
                Gavin

PS - Aside from electrical tape, what would be the suggestion for re-wrapping the harness?

Thanks again.

Comment

The Duaneage unit came in today...tomorrow or sunday it goes on the bike!

Hopefully all goes well.

Comment

The Duaneage unit came in today...tomorrow or sunday it goes on the bike!

Hopefully all goes well.
                    connect the sense wire to the power out of your coil relay mod. That is a better place to the taillight wire

Comment

Thank you for the tip! I was actually dreading trying to find a sense wire...you guys have no idea how much a pain in the ass this color blindness thing is!

Comment

You're color blind and trying to wire a bike
                        Wow
                        Good luck
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Got everything back together and it is running like it should.

I'll see how it does tomorrow once it warms up on a longer ride.

EDIT:

I have replaced the following items:
                          -coils and wires
                          -spark plugs
                          -removed my reg & rec and replaced them with a Duaneage unit

I tested the following; all OK:
                          -stator(new one in box on deck if it does go.)
                          -ignition

Not much else I suspect?
                          Last edited by Guest; 07-06-2010, 01:00 AM.

Comment

So I took the bike to work this morning, which is only about 5 miles away.

About 1.5 miles into the ride, the bike died at an intersection, but started right back up, no issues with power loss or the coils losing power.

When I got to work, it died when I came to a stop in my spot. I started it backup and it ran fine, and sat and idled there for a while.

I tested the stator, and it checked. I checked the battery and it was 12.6 at idle, but didnt increase to much above 13v at 4000rpm.

I'm going to take it for a longer ride on the way home today, and check things out then.

On a separate note, I talked with a mechanic that works on older Japanese bikes and he told me that bikes up here(7000') dont get rejetted, so I'm not going to mess with that.

Comment

At Seven-thousand feet you will run rich. Try taking in the idle mixture screws a bit.
                              Does it idle for a bit and slowly drop off? That's a common rich idle condition.
                              Good job on the wiring! With your condition that must of taken some perserverance.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                                At Seven-thousand feet you will run rich. Try taking in the idle mixture screws a bit.
                                Does it idle for a bit and slowly drop off? That's a common rich idle condition.
                                Good job on the wiring! With your condition that must of taken some perserverance.
                                Yes, it does idle and drop off, and smells stonrgly of gas.

Do you think backing the screw off a quarter turn to start, or may be an eighth, will be sufficient?

Comment

Working...
                                X