charging problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gsx1100 View Post
    so i should leave connected totally and probe it at the connection and the battery to perform that test.
    Yes as a general rule when an instruction says to measure a voltage it doesn’t mean to disconnect. When opening the loop is indicated it is usually called an "open circuit" test.

Comment

A little update to my on going problem. I redid most of the connections; single point grounding, step 2 and 3 of the phase a were all about .25 volts after redoing the test, and i eliminated the left handle bar switch loop. Im still only charging 13.46 volts at 5000 rpm. Im a little concerned that im only putting about 67 volts from the legs of the stator where my manual states a minimum of 80. I'm gonna try another known battery in case that's the problem. Any input on possible problems would be greatly appreciated.
      Thank you

Comment

A little update to my on going problem. I redid most of the connections; single point grounding, step 2 and 3 of the phase a were all about .25 volts after redoing the test, and i eliminated the left handle bar switch loop. Im still only charging 13.46 volts at 5000 rpm. Im a little concerned that im only putting about 67 volts from the legs of the stator where my manual states a minimum of 80. I'm gonna try another known battery in case that's the problem. Any input on possible problems would be greatly appreciated.
        Thank you

If the battery is down it will pull your voltage down. Also the 67 volts is low and the two together is giving probably giving you the marginal results. The stator may be partially shorted due to over heating. At least the R/R seems to be working but you need to make sure that it limits the output to about 14.5V

Comment

Yeah i tried a charge known working battery as well as mine which was tested. Im getting the rectifier checked tomorrow and but unfortunately its probably the stator. Could the new rectifier suddenly of fried the stator? If not which brand stator would you recommend.

Comment

Yeah i tried a charge known working battery as well as mine which was tested. Im getting the rectifier checked tomorrow and but unfortunately its probably the stator. Could the new rectifier suddenly of fried the stator? If not which brand stator would you recommend.
            That is a bit of a mystery at the moment. I have an electrosport (about $110) but with aggressive riding it started to fry (at the time I have the FET R/R paired to it). That is why I got to what most seem to figure are extreme measures but I will not have to worry about it any more.

You can try a Rick's they are about $130 so the most expensive. Another really cheap option is to try an early Kawazaki stator. If you go to the Dennis Kirk website and look for a cross reference for an electrosport stator they will list all of the early Kawasaks that cross over. From there search ebay; I picked a spare up for $25 in excellent shape.

If you want to fix it once and for get an Electrosport or Kawi stator and one of these:

Comment

Have you heard anything about rm stators? I got my r/r from them, and they have a stator with a 1 year warranty which might be worth it. Id really just like to buy one of them, but I understand where your coming from with buying the 2 of them.

Comment

Have you heard anything about rm stators? I got my r/r from them, and they have a stator with a 1 year warranty which might be worth it. Id really just like to buy one of them, but I understand where your coming from with buying the 2 of them.
                I'm not sure how much it matters. Some stators are "supposed" to be higher output, but the magnetics ability to support large current generation may be an overiding limiting factor regardless of the different stators.

See Basscliff's thread on which ones he has burned out so far; they last him about 1 year.

Comment

Working...
                X