Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Turtleface View Post
    Just putting this out there.

Most of the better, more expensive spark plugs usually list pros like "hotter spark", or more "complete combustion". It's been my understanding that the REAL benefit to the fancy plugs is better anode material, and hence longer plug life. There are some different anode shapes (u-channels, those fancy dual and quad anode kinds), but I don't think those really generate any extra combustion by themselves, and are probably overkill for a stock or lightly modified GS.

Might it be the best practice to use standard NGK plugs to tune with. Like Pos said, you don't want fancy plugs to mask any underlying problems you might have. Tuning with the NGKs would also be cheaper, since you'll be doing lots of plugs chops with periodical plug changes once they get too colored. Once it's dialed, and you've insured there are no problems in the ignition system, you could then switch to the fancy pants plugs for the longer maintance interval. Sorta like using dino oil right after major engine work, since you'll be changing the oil relatively quickly. Any thoughts?
    This is from the Factory Pro site. There used to be more detail but cant find it at the moment. They do sell them for $15 a pop, but I don’t think that undermines their credibility to much.

The Denso Iridiums, time after time, will improve fuel burn consistency, delivering less handlebar buzz (when tuned properly) -
    I also found this old post where the data suggested more consistent firing to support the FP claims of better consistency.

One interesting thing about the data is that the NGK Iridium plugs have the most consistent set of runs. I'm not sure we can infer anything from this as I mentioned before, we dont know what the test conditions are. I guess I might be disappointed, but I am expecting an improved drivability for my stock 750 from a set of NGK Iridiums.

The data is from the previous post.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
    Last edited by posplayr; 06-30-2010, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      This is from the Factory Pro site. There used to be more detail but cant find it at the moment. They do sell them for $15 a pop, but I don’t think that undermines their credibility to much.

I also found this old post where the data suggested more consistent firing to support the FP claims of better consistency.

The data is from the previous post.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...5&postcount=15
      Interesting stuff. We all know torque is the number that directly correlates to fun, and the NGKs take that category along with the whole consistency bit. Good stuff to know, considering I'm in the market for a few sets of plugs in order to set up my carbs once the correct pilot jets show up. NGK shows them for about 8 bucks a pop, which makes them the clear winner in my book. Top torque number, consistent, and reasonably priced.
      Last edited by Guest; 06-30-2010, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
        a plug chop is what you put in your oven when cooking to see if it is running to rich!
        So , I've got to drill and tap holes in the oven door ?
        How many do I need for bangers and mash ?
        Mumma bear is gunna get pi$$ed . (again) .

I'm only just getting over the flogging I got for cooking my steering head bearings .

Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Originally posted by simon kuether View Post
          So , I've got to drill and tap holes in the oven door ?
          How many do I need for bangers and mash ?
          Mumma bear is gunna get pi$$ed . (again) .

I'm only just getting over the flogging I got for cooking my steering head bearings .

Cheers , Simon .
          me too for dropping a gsxr swing arm in the bath and putting a nice big hole in it!
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Working...
          X