Starter...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter...

I swear, by the time I am done working on this bike, I will have a brand new GS550. All the money I've spent on it so far, I could have bought a much newer bike... Ugh.

Ok, so now I just got done working on the bike all day. Put the Dynojet kit in, new valve cover gasket, etc, etc etc... Now the starter is acting up. Hit the start button and the starter relay just buzzes madly. Took a hammer to the starter for a few wacks and then the starter kicks in and starts doing its job again... Thought maybe I got lucky because it kept working, so I put the cover back on and now it's acting up again!

I'm not too familiar with starters... But I'm guessing I need new brushes? Sound right?

On my GSX550 and GSX250 I have had that problem, either no spin or very slow spin. For me it was due to the PO leaving the bikes unused for extended periods (and maybe myself for letting water accumulate around the starter, butI reserve the right to blame the PO).

I pulled the starter out and disassembled it. Two screws, then overcome the magnetic pull. Check the brushes, they are likely to have plenty of meat left on them. Now just touch up the commutator(?), the part where the brushes rub using some light sandpaper.

Reassemble and test. You should be all good.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingSteve View Post
      ... Now the starter is acting up. ... Took a hammer to the starter for a few wacks and then the starter kicks in and starts doing its job again... ... I put the cover back on and now it's acting up again!

I'm not too familiar with starters... But I'm guessing I need new brushes? Sound right?
      Either that or just carry a hammer with you.

Originally posted by FlyingSteve View Post
      I swear, by the time I am done working on this bike, I will have a brand new GS550. All the money I've spent on it so far, I could have bought a much newer bike... Ugh.
      If you are worried about the money you have spent, you might have made a wrong choice.

Some guys will be hesitant to get a particular part or tool because "that's more than I paid for the bike". Hogwash. I got a bike for FREE. Does that mean I should not have to (or want to) pay for anything related to that bike? No. It only means I have that much more money available to spend on getting that bike ready for the road. By the way, "Freebie" (the free bike) took over $900 in parts to get back on the road safely. If I had to figure in a cost for my time, it would not have been worth it, but there are times that I consider working on a project bike as "therapy".

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

GSX550 gave some good advice. Polish the commutator and gently clean out the grooves on it. Someone here can probably give you the service limit on the brushes.

Comment

Service limit on the brushes on my bike is 6mm or .24". Yours should be about the same.

Comment

Don't over tighten the screw when you put it back together

Comment

Working...
            X