dyna coil mounting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dyna coil mounting

I'm having grief trying to mount green 3-ohm coils on a 1985 GS1150EF.
    Anyone else have any problems using stock mounting hardware?

Yes, the spacing of the mounting holes is often different. I had to kludge it using a piece of sheet metal I had lying around.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

If the coil mounting hole are off some in your frame tabs, take a rat tail file or a Dremmel tool & slot the holes. Ray.

Comment

The holes will line up but the mount is tilted inward and with longer bolts I could use stock mounting on one side , but then there isn't enough room
        for the towers of the 2nd coil.Also the rubber boot is pressed into a high spot on the valve cover,which would melt it.

Comment

Originally posted by barmstro View Post
          The holes will line up but the mount is tilted inward and with longer bolts I could use stock mounting on one side , but then there isn't enough room
          for the towers of the 2nd coil.Also the rubber boot is pressed into a high spot on the valve cover,which would melt it.
          I bent the mounting tabs up when I ran Dynas. I had one crap out after only about a year. Since then I've been running later model coils from a GSXR or Bandit.

Comment

I only have one bolt on each coil. I had no room either. I angled the boots forward.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I have also mounted the coils with the wires facing UP to get them away from the valve cover & then loop them back down to the plugs. Ray.

Comment

Hey Billy, would you happen to know what years of the gsxr or bandit coils will work on an 80 GS1100L?

Comment

As long as they aren't the type with a coil pack on each plug they'll work. The Gixxers got them beginning in about 2000. Bandits and such got them later. As long as they look like the stockers they'll work. You can usually pick up a pair for about $30 on Ebay. If you don't have performance mods the stockers will work just as well as Dynas and Accels.

Comment

AWESOME!!! Thanks Billy, that helps me out alot. Been looking at a few on the bay but have been hesitant cause I didn't know if they would work. The only mods I have done to the bike are the coil relay and I added the dyna S ignition when my ignitor failed. As far as I've read on here, stock coils will work with this setup as well. Anyone, please correct me if i'm wrong. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by flyanimator View Post
                      AWESOME!!! Thanks Billy, that helps me out alot. Been looking at a few on the bay but have been hesitant cause I didn't know if they would work. The only mods I have done to the bike are the coil relay and I added the dyna S ignition when my ignitor failed. As far as I've read on here, stock coils will work with this setup as well. Anyone, please correct me if i'm wrong. Thanks.
                      Stockers will be fine.

Comment

Working...
                      X