No announcement yet.

Multi-meter question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the advice. I will measure the A/C volts on the proper scale after a breakfast ride on the 'Cade this morning. The wife sleeps late and I don't want to startle her with a 5000 rev at daybreak. I will get a better meter. When I got that one, I didn't realize the difference. I had the stator cover off for powder-coating at the end of May. On the first of June I had my appendix out and 2 weeks later I got a fever and pain and after a cat scan, it was determined that I had developed an abcess. Had a drain in my side for 10 days so the bike sat a lot. The bike wouldn't crank the other day and I thought the 2 yr old battery might be going but when I got around to getting it tested at an auto parts store, it checks as GOOD. I'm physically fine now and am going to dig into this and get it sorted out. It sure seems like more than a coincidence that all this happened after I had the stator cover off although I was very careful and thought it went back on perfectly with the wire correctly routed. I did have to hit my impact driver real hard to get the screws loose that hold the stator in the cover.
    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
    1983 GS 1100 G
    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
      All analogue meters are marked that way.
      Yes, but the confusing part about this one is that the ONLY scale is marked x1000.

Most meters will also have a x1 scale, which will read directly.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

What's confusing about it?
        The setting says "ohms x 1k", you read what's on the scale and multiply it by 1000. Simple.

It's a low budget meter, that probly uses the same generic scale calibration as many others.
        Cheaper for the manufacturer to mark the knob setting that way than to change the whole scale.
        Anyone capable of using a basic multimeter should be able to interpret it, wouldn't you think?

Comment

if you cant read a meter get someone who can

stator legs need to be 0-1 ohm and no Insulation Breakdown period!

which is if you test the stator legs the needle should jump to the other side when you test the stator legs 1-2 1-3 2-3 on the ohmX1 scale

a good insulation breakdown test is when the needle stays still when you test each leg to the metal core ohm X 1 scale.

and a dynamic AC voltage test is done on AC X 100 scale good reading is 65~85 AC volts on 1-2 1-3 2-3 connections.
          SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

I can do the A/C voltage but my meter won't read resistance as small as 2 ohms. 1/16" needle travel equals 200 ohms. Getting another meter. I will admit to being new at this.
            1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
            1983 GS 1100 G
            2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
            2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
            1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
              What are you on about?
              All analogue meters are marked that way.
              OK I checked and it appears so, I had my radio shack analog MultiMeter stolen in about 1977 and have only had digital since.

Comment

Working...
              X