Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

D-E-D spells dead. . .

1977 GS 750B

So riding my bike today, and in the middle of making a turn, it dies. Nooooo power to the bike whatsoever. It happened a few days ago up in the mountains, and I let it sit about 10 minutes, pulled in the clutch and it fired back up, BUT it wanted to die several times going down the mountain, but everytime I would pull in the clutch, it would regain power and run fine (wtf?)

I let it sit again today (for 20 minutes), but no such luck. I tested the battery with a multi-meter yesterday and it came in @ 12.3. Any guesses as to what it might be? Coil? Stator? I'll take the battery out and go get it tested today. . . Let me know what info you guys need to help troubleshoot. Thanks much

Nevermind, I found it (actually Tkent did) loose wire

Comment

You go Tom!!!
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

OK, the problem has been fixed, but I just have to comment:
        Originally posted by miles28 View Post
        I tested the battery with a multi-meter yesterday and it came in @ 12.3. Any guesses as to what it might be?
        What was the rest of the bike doing when you got 12.3 volts at the battery?

Was that an hour or so after removing it from a charger?

Was that with the bike stopped and the key OFF?

Was that with the bike stopped and the key ON?

Was that with the bike idling?

Was that with the bike running at 4-5,000 rpm?

Actually, it doesn't really matter. 12.3 volts is a partially-discharged battery.
        The only time you might see it on a stock bike is at idle, with a low idle speed.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It was with the bike off, key out of the ignition. We also found that my battery needs water

Comment

Working...
          X