Smaller Battery....or asking to much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smaller Battery....or asking to much?

Still in the planning phases of my GS project an thinking about opening up the space where my battery resides, and sticking a smaller one under the tail. I just tried searching through all of the electrical section with not much luck other than the advice to BE CAREFUL.

My bike is an '81 GS450, with a large 10L-A2 size battery. 11AH, 1.1Ah charge. How would I go about finding a smaller battery or perhaps even a different dimension. Sealed of course.

I have a feeling I am asking an impossible question here.........

Scott

just search for a m/cycle battery dealer and ask for a gel battery equivalent to yours. probably be half the size, and more reliable
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Unfortunately I don't recall the name of the company, but a few years back I came across a battery (several different shapes/sizes) that was being used by one of the custom chopper guys. This thing was maybe a quarter of the size of its conventional equivalent (wet, gel, agm, etc) and had something like three times the capability.

There was video showing a test where they cranked over a big V-twin for something like 11-15 minutes straight, and the battery still had capacity after the heavy duty starter caught fire and gave up! I remember it was VERY expensive, but far outclassed anything else available. If I can dig up the information I'll post it for you ... it was VERY impressive!

Regards,

Comment

Check these out.
        Great domain names provide SEO, branding, and a memorable experience for your users. Get a premium domain today.

I plan on trying one as soon as I finish the 1100.
        The Three Horsemen
        '85 GS1150ES (Current Income Eater)
        '83 GS1100ES
        ‘77 XLCR

"Never ride faster than you can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes."
        Porkchop Express

Comment

Hi,

Again, the search feature is your friend.

In that thread they are talking about this battery:
          http://www.parts-unlimited.com/part/getItemDetails.do?partIds[]=219734
          (You may have to copy and paste that URL into your browser.)

• ACID INCLUDED Yes
          • BATTERY TYPE # RT4L-BS
          • BATTERY TYPE CHEMISTRY AGM Maintenance Free
          • BRAND Parts Unlimited Batteries
          • C.C.A. 200
          • CAPACITY AH 12
          • DIMENSIONS L -4 1/2" (114mm) W - 2 13/16" (71mm) H - 3 3/8" (86mm)
          • MAXIMUM CHARGE RATE 1.4
          • MODEL Parts Unlimited
          • TERMINAL CONFIGURATION Neg (left front) Pos (right front)
          • TYPE Battery
          • VOLTAGE 12
          • WEIGHT 8.1 lbs

It's pretty small, with 200 cold cranking amps.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCLiff

Comment

The battery I saw test video of was neither of the ones posted, but was more like the one GregB linked to, for what it's worth... I'm still trying to find it - was pretty unbelievable video...

Regards,

Comment

Was it an Odyssey battery? I had heard from a friend about them. They were developed originally for the military, and are now available commercially. They make all kinds of sizes, BUT (always a but, isn't there?) .... THEY DO NOT MAKE ONE TO FIT MY '83 GS 1100.

Here's the link to their site ....

Comment

i have a GS450-ive been using this battery for few months now and it works great, its the sealed type. I ordered somewhere online for 31.95, and its tiny!
                Parts Unlimited-Model RTX4LBS

Comment

You can make one from an 18volt battery operated tool battery.

Or theres E-Batt to just buy one. Greats guys, call them let them know your needs. http://www.ebattonline.com/BATTERIES.html

And then theres Odyssey.

Comment

Here are a few that I am considering for myself that might be useful to you:

They are all pretty cost effective and remain nice and compact, but with enough power to do what you need.

Comment

Wow

Thanks everyone. I had forgotten to push the instant notification on this thread and now have a ton of info. Thanks! I did find the thread on the RTX one and it looks like it fits well into the space I have.

I would love to know more about these little A123 packs. I have not seen these before. I have a couple of 18v packs out in the garage........

Cheers!

Scott
                      Last edited by Guest; 07-17-2010, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X