Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im Moving the electric Panel,does need to be grounded to the frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im Moving the electric Panel,does need to be grounded to the frame?

Hello,
    Im trying to open up my bike and get rid of the side panels. I have my battery hidden in my seat. Im wondering if i can split up the electric components in the left side pane, and attach them to the bottom of my seat, would that work? Thanks!
    DG

Yes, a lot of bods do that on cafe racers etc. Make sure you have the reg / rec well earthed as you suggest. Alternative stick it up the front of the frame where the horns usually go - keeps it nice and cool and can look retro cool as well. Heavier gauge wire recommended if you move it.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by djg42 View Post
      Hello,
      Im trying to open up my bike and get rid of the side panels. I have my battery hidden in my seat. Im wondering if i can split up the electric components in the left side pane, and attach them to the bottom of my seat, would that work? Thanks!
      DG
      You can attach them there or anywhere but you will have to run the grounds back to the battery/frame/engine grounds as you said. Grounding to the seat base won't work though.
      Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Comment

I have a related problem I caused. There are two ground wires(I think,black and white) involved in all the wiring I mindlesly tore off the battery box to get at it to paint that have round eyelets to be connected to the mounting bolts for the rectofier box complex. With the ignition off, one of the wires is grounded, one not. As the battery box is not grounded, should I assume these two wires are connected,one wire carrying the other to ground? Thanks PS. If you know me, you know I am bad at computers.

Comment

Im going to tap the frame to bolt the whole panel under the seat. Can I put rubber between the panel and the frame for shock absorption? The bolt will still be grounding the panel to the frame., but the rubber would sepereate the panel from the frame...

The only reason I ask is somebody told me once it has to actually be touching the frame for some reason. Thanks!
          Last edited by Guest; 07-22-2010, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ptomkrvr View Post
            I have a related problem I caused. There are two ground wires(I think,black and white) involved in all the wiring I mindlesly tore off the battery box to get at it to paint that have round eyelets to be connected to the mounting bolts for the rectofier box complex. With the ignition off, one of the wires is grounded, one not. As the battery box is not grounded, should I assume these two wires are connected,one wire carrying the other to ground? Thanks PS. If you know me, you know I am bad at computers.
            I would run both of them to a bolt on the battery box, I like the starter relat molt, and run a separate ground wire from there to the battery.
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

The battery box holds the electronics for the bike and is rubber isolated to protect the electronics from vibration. As a result small ground wires are used to prevent static or floating voltages on the isolated parts. Ideally everything on the bike made of metal should be grounded.
              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
              X