Battery overcharging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery overcharging

So after a highway ride today where I was doing 6000RPM for about 20 miles, it would seem that my battery is being overcharged. I saw some clear fluid on the swing arm and it was only there, below my battery... Well the plastic case the battery sits in had fluid in it too...

So an overcharging battery is due to a bad regulator I guess? Doesn't seem to happen when I do short slow runs, but when I get on the throttle a lot and hold high revs it happens.

Originally posted by FlyingSteve View Post
    So after a highway ride today where I was doing 6000RPM for about 20 miles, it would seem that my battery is being overcharged. I saw some clear fluid on the swing arm and it was only there, below my battery... Well the plastic case the battery sits in had fluid in it too...

So an overcharging battery is due to a bad regulator I guess? Doesn't seem to happen when I do short slow runs, but when I get on the throttle a lot and hold high revs it happens.

The problem is caused by a faulty R/R (regulator/rectifier).

Earl
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Ok, that is what I thought ... They are damned expensive, hopefully I can get a good used one on eBay.

Oh, is there any way to repair it?

Comment

Get a honda regulator from Ebay or Dundage here on the forum

Comment

Why a Honda? Any specific one?

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingSteve View Post
            Why a Honda? Any specific one?
            Please do a search, this topic comes up all the time.

Tip: look for Matchless's R/R thread. He lists a long line of R/R's that can easily be adapted to your bike. If you watch ebay you should be able to pick one up for $30 or so.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
              Get a honda regulator from Ebay or Dundage here on the forum
              Actually, the guy's name you are looking for is Duaneage.

He gets Honda regulators, tests them, then sells them. If the price hasn't changed, it's $40. Hard to beat that by taking a chance on eBay.

But, before you start throwing parts at the bike, do some testing.
              Follow the tests in The Stator Papers to see exactly where your problem is.

Then you can start throwing parts at it.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi,

It's in your "mega-welcome".

"GSR Forum member Mr. duaneage has great used upgraded Honda regulator/rectifiers for our bikes. Send him a PM."

Actually, I need to update the information in the "mega-welcome" because Mr. duaneage is selling new units now, for only $45 shipped.

See his ad/post in the GS Parts and Services section:
                If you sell parts or provide services for GS series motorcycles, place a description of it in this forum.

On my little website, look in the Electrical Odds and Ends page to see a list of Compatible Stators and R/Rs including the FET types from Mr. Matchless' list. His entire list is in this thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=134690

But, yes, as Mr. Steve recommends, troubleshoot using The Stator Papers. There's a link to that in your "mega-welcome" too. I'd also recommend an AGM battery.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                Last edited by Guest; 07-13-2010, 02:50 AM.

Comment

Did you neutralize with baking soda and flush well with water?

Comment

I still haven't checked the charging system out yet, but the other day I did look at the battery to check the acid level. As it turns out, with all the acid that has leaked out of the battery, the level is now sitting at the full line on the battery. I think that the PO over-filled the cells and that is what caused the acid to bubble out. In fact I had to drain some liquid out of the one cell because it was still above the full line.

Comment

Working...
                    X