GS wiring tip diagnosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS wiring tip diagnosis

Wiring strip helped a lot with the diagnosis of adapting an earlier (1979 ?) turn signal switch to 1982 GS850. The wiring strip can be bought at computer surplus stores like "active surplus" in Torontoo. ( you will find these strips in your old desktop computer )

Matching the existing wire to the older switch was a matter of trial and error since the wiring diagrams left a lot to be desired --- at least to me ! But this strip took the pain out of the equation.

However, thus far, I have not been able to get the flasher to operate (flash) and I just toggle the switch lever on/off as I am turning !! At least la policia is satisfied ....

I may try to get the wiring "matchup" perfect with the flasher flashing but if not I will just solder the wires together and call it --- FIXED !! ( life is too short)

These old bikes do suffer from broken switches that are hard to replace with originals given the cost and the lack of supply.

YMMV

Fraser

Nice solution.

A terminal strip might still be found at Radio Shack and might take a little less room.
    I have one on my wife's bike for a power distribution panel.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by frasermanx View Post
      Wiring strip helped a lot with the diagnosis of adapting an earlier (1979 ?) turn signal switch to 1982 GS850. The wiring strip can be bought at computer surplus stores like "active surplus" in Torontoo. ( you will find these strips in your old desktop computer )

Matching the existing wire to the older switch was a matter of trial and error since the wiring diagrams left a lot to be desired --- at least to me ! But this strip took the pain out of the equation.

However, thus far, I have not been able to get the flasher to operate (flash) and I just toggle the switch lever on/off as I am turning !! At least la policia is satisfied ....

I may try to get the wiring "matchup" perfect with the flasher flashing but if not I will just solder the wires together and call it --- FIXED !! ( life is too short)

These old bikes do suffer from broken switches that are hard to replace with originals given the cost and the lack of supply.

YMMV

Fraser
      Wiring strip or wire terminal is a good idea for doing that.

Comment

Working...
      X