Battery....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery....

Took my battery out today to top it up, and give the tray and air filter box a good clean.

I it poosible to use a 12V sealed type battery on these bikes?
    If not, why?

Originally posted by Seanie View Post
    I it poosible to use a 12V sealed type battery on these bikes?
    If not, why?
    Yes, it's possible. In fact, highly recommended.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Cool Steve...Way lest hassle Im sure.

Is there a special type of sealed 12v I should go for? Fit etc?

Is there any other advantages in doing this that I should know about?

Comment

Just get one the right size and terminal orientation, the rest will take care of itself. Most of them are called AGM, which is Absorbed Glass Mat. They are all sealed, but many ask to not be run upside down. Many will mistakenly call them "Gel batteries", but there is no "gel" in them. The liquid electrolyte is absorbed into fiberglass mats that are between the lead plates in each cell, meaning that nothing will spill if the battery tips.

Someone had posted about a good find recently about a battery that was sent to them for about $65, a quick search will probably find that rather easily. If you support your local businesses, Batteries Plus, Interstate and others will carry what you need for $70-80.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I highly recommend an AGM, specifically this one: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=161155

Spillproof, comes charged and ready to go. The MotoBatt also has multiple terminals for flexible cable mounting and a removeable base if you want it taller or shorter. Plus it has a 2 year warranty, vs. everyone else's 1 year warranty.

Comment

AGM's are brilliant for cold (weather) cranking . You'll freak out at the price but believe me , it's money well spent . I got a Deka . There's about a zillion different sizes (physically) and different terminal configurations .

Cheers , Simon .
            http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Originally posted by simon kuether View Post
              AGM's are brilliant for cold (weather) cranking . You'll freak out at the price but believe me , it's money well spent . I got a Deka . There's about a zillion different sizes (physically) and different terminal configurations .

Cheers , Simon .
              The MotoBatt is unique in that it is a) Only $65 delivered, and b) Fits many different models because it has many terminal configurations and has a removeable base so the battery can be taller or shorter.

Comment

I was looking for an AGM a few days ago as well and found a link through here for a Parts Unlimited battery that is actually smaller than the regular battery designed for my 1100. The part no. is RT4L-BS. Terminal orientation is the same as the standard battery.

I am fortunate to live literally minutes from an international crossing from here (Canada) to the US, so I had a Polaris dealer in up-state New York order it for me. I'm going to do an Adirondack Mountain tour with my bike next week and will pick it up on the way by. Price was $31.95 (USD).

As part of the swap-out, I intend to "hard-wire" the warning light lead to the pos terminal and do away with the false warnings on my cluster.

Comment

Working...
                X