Headlight conversion for GL450T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight conversion for GL450T

I've got an '81 GS450T that needs a new headlamp. the bulb that's in there measures about 6-1/4" diameter and the logo "Koito" in the front glass. The back is metal with markings:
    12V50 / 35W
    997-15303
    DOT
    OZG

I stopped at my local motorcycle shop and they didn't have one and I ended up ordering one from Dennis Kirk. What they sent is a 7" H-4 style halogen light with 60/55 bulb. Of course it doesn't fit into the front headlight bracket and from doing some searches in this forum it sounds like there is an inexpensive H-4 conversion kit. I'd like to keep the new halogen bulb as it's a better lighting solution but I can't find the conversion kit. Can anyone offer advice or recommendations?

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by Guest; 07-14-2010, 10:54 PM.

I don't know if this really answers your question, but my local bike shop had a generic headlight bucket/lens H4 kit and a pair of generic mounts that I got for my bike. I think it was a 7" as well so it took some tweaking but I managed to make it work. I suppose it actually made it easier that I didn't have OE brackets to try to force the bucket into, so my experience my reflect nothing of your own. Then over the winter I replaced the H4 halogen with an HID conversion kit.

Comment

Thanks for the info! I suppose I just need a complete compatible headlight bucket that will fit my factory mounting tabs. Does anyone know what other GS years/models would have a 7" headlight bucket to fit my bike?

Comment

I used to have an '83 1100 ED that had one.

Comment

Well, for future reference of anyone else running into this problem here is an update. I returned the wrong headlight and ordered one from Candlepower, their part number 802212:
          Memotronics is your online source for lighting and industrial supplies. We stock over 2000 miniature, line-voltage and halogen bulbs for industrial, automotive, residential and commercial applications. Our automotive lighting selection includes vintage and hard-to-find bulbs for domestic and import cars, as well as a range of thermal, electronic and solid state flashers, including a range of turn sugnal flashers for aftermarket LED conversions

It's a 6-3/8" (162mm) lens with a H4 bulb included. It came today and I installed it tonight in my original headlight bucket. It must be kind of a universal lens with several different tabs on it for different installation setups. I had to remove one of the brackets with a air cutoff tool in order for one of my original spring clips to work but otherwise it works perfectly. I waited till dark and went for a short ride to see what it was like and it is definately a lot brighter in both low and high beam! I had to adjust the aim a little but I am very happy with it.

Comment

Thanks for the update.

When my #1 son had a 450T, we shopped around and found a 7" headlight and changed the mounting ears on the forks.
            Of course, we made sure the 7" light used an H4 bulb. BIG improvement over the stock light.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I am going through the same thing, found this post after buying a 7" conversion kit for my GS 450. It was too big, so I've got the candlepower light ordered and will post when I get it installed. Fortunately for me, I've got a 50 Plymouth wagon that has 7" sealed beams. The other kit I bought fits it perfectly, so one more to buy and I'm lit! Thanks for the post, the info was a great help to me.

Comment

I was looking for a 162 mm replacement H4 bulb and found one at bobscycle.com for $19 shipped. I just ordered it and waiting to see how much it improves my vision at night.

Comment

I got one of these to put on a 450L, looks like a pretty good piece. Don't know about the beam pattern yet but AutoPal lights are cheap on ebay if the one that comes in the unit is too bad and I've had great luck with them in cars.

/\/\ac

Comment

Working...
                  X