keep blowin my headlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

keep blowin my headlight

Iam ridin a 77 gs 750. iam gettin ABOUT 14.5 VOLTS TO THE HEAD LIGHT. i have a semi new ricks r/r should i move the ground mabe

Originally posted by b2kvapor View Post
    Iam ridin a 77 gs 750. iam gettin ABOUT 14.5 VOLTS TO THE HEAD LIGHT. i have a semi new ricks r/r should i move the ground mabe
    It will not hurt anything and might solve the problem. See the "GS Charging System Heath" in my signature

Comment

Hi,

You must ensure that all of your electrical connections and grounds are clean, especially in the charging system wiring, the fuse box, the ignition switch, etc. Corrosion and rust cause extra resistance which can make your regulator put out more voltage to overcome the resistance. In addition to Mr. posplay's excellent guides, see the Electrical section of my website for tips.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

how many volts is the norm for a head light? 13.5 still to much at 4000 rpms?

Comment

Originally posted by b2kvapor View Post
          how many volts is the norm for a head light? 13.5 still to much at 4000 rpms?
          The manual says that charging can be as high as 15.5V although the battery will probably boil.

Comment

Dumb question, but did you touch the bulb?
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
              Dumb question, but did you touch the bulb?

That was an interesting reply.

It only applies if the bulb is halogen-equipped, as a standard-filament bulb will normally not do so, but it is certainly true that the halogen-type bulbs will blow due to the oil deposited on the glass from simply touching it with bare fingers: the oil superheats, the heat weakens the glass, and the bulb breaks.

14.5 volts is a bit high for charging output. Even your battery will object if that rate is sustained.

Follow the tips already offered.
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

u could also do a search

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Comment

it is a h4 bulb i whent through 3 so far. no i didnt touch the bulb. and all my wiring is new

Comment

May be a dumb ?..But why is there 14.5 volts AT THE HEADLIGHT? thought the voltage GOING to the builb should be 12 volts. And 14.0 to 14.5 CHARGING voltage is within the acceptable perameters. Wouldnt 14.5 volts going to the bulb naturally burn it out rather quickly??
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                      May be a dumb ?..But why is there 14.5 volts AT THE HEADLIGHT? thought the voltage GOING to the builb should be 12 volts. And 14.0 to 14.5 CHARGING voltage is within the acceptable perameters. Wouldnt 14.5 volts going to the bulb naturally burn it out rather quickly??
                      The lights will see the R/R(+) output less whatever the voltage drops are to the lights. Most 12V lights should be designed to tolerate 14.5V as normal.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                        Yes, sustained high voltage will cause premature burn-out.

Bulbs should be able to handle that voltage, but the original post says there is ABOUT 14.5 volts at the headlight, so it may be more than that at times. Check the output at various RPMs. You may find it varies upwards into bad territory.

Take a look at the battery liquid level and see if it is going down too quickly, as getting 14.5 at the headlight (after voltage drop due to connection loss) suggests an even higher number at the battery.

If three bulbs have burned out, there appears to be a problem with either the voltage level or a ground fault that causes intermitten surges.....or both.
                        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
                        X