Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All four turn signals are firing at once.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All four turn signals are firing at once.

If this is a redundant post, I'm sorry. I searched.

I just replaced all of my turn signals with LEDs, and now they all just light up at once. I expected them to stay on, and I don't mind that. It will keep me from leaving them on, which I always do. But the all four on at once thing caught me by surprise.

I triple checked to make sure that they are hooked up exactly as the stock ones were. I even disconnected them one at a time to see if I could isolate a trouble light. Nothing.

What gives?

Hi,

Your bike is not listed in your signature file, but I am assuming that you have a single blinker indicator signal in your instrument cluster. From the "Electrical Odd and Ends" section of my website, here is some helpful information from Mr. Steve:

If you have a single [turn signal indicator] bulb in the instrument panel, it is fed by two hot wires from the turn signals. The indicator bulb acts as a current limiter and uses the turn signals on the other side as a ground wire. When the left turn signals are on, the indicator will also light, but won't pass enough current to light the right-side signals, so it uses them as a ground. Same thing for the other side.

If you want to use a single LED for your indicator, there is no problem, as long as you use a couple other LEDs to feed it.

Here is a diagram I did for somebody doing the same thing some time ago. It only shows the lights, not the wires that come from the controls, etc., but it shows the original setup with a standard bulb, then how to wire in two LEDs that will allow the use of a single LED in the instrument panel.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Ah. Sorry. 1979 GS1000E. I have the buzzer type indicator. So, what if I just disconnect the buzzer? I can't hear it with the bike running, and with the bike off, well, it's kind of a stupid feature.

Comment

Originally posted by burp reynolds View Post
        Ah. Sorry. 1979 GS1000E. I have the buzzer type indicator. So, what if I just disconnect the buzzer? I can't hear it with the bike running, and with the bike off, well, it's kind of a stupid feature.
        Yeah! That would have to work - right?

Comment

It didn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by burp reynolds View Post
            It didn't work.
            And I just noticed my headlight isn't working. This is why I never touch the electrical crap on any of my bikes.

Comment

Working...
            X