Not charging, need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not charging, need help!

My battery is not charging, when i look at the manual it says unplug the stator wires and keep the bike at 5000 rpm and test voltage. As soon as i unplug the wires from the control box the bike shuts right off. Am i doing something wrong? There is no other plug in between the stator and the CDI box.

Jack, under normal circumstances the three wires from the alternator plug into wires going to the rectifier. Trace the wires from the alternator and find where these plug into the rectifier wires. Disconnect them from there and do the tests with the bike running. It sounds like you might be disconnecting the igniter and therefore the ignition system and thus causing the bike to cut out.

Also read the STATOR papers on the website, you will find them helpful.

Comment

Huh?

Unplugging the stator wires would/should shut off the bike. So the test is successful!

Start simple.

Fully charge the battery (assuming you have a battery tender/charger).

Start the bike.

Rev her up, and check voltage at the battery. Unreved, if the charging system is suspect you'll be drawing off the battery....>12 volts. Revved up, with properly charging system you'll see some 14 or so volts at the battery.

If not, you've problem.

Stator papers will be your friend in isolating the problem to the Regulator/Rectifyer or the Stator.

If you can disconnect the stator wires, I'd start there as they're accessible.

Test each leg. If you're getting the proper response from each leg of the stator, then the problem will be isolated to the reg/rect.

Me, I ultimately replaced both the stator and the reg/rect. Mostly for peace of mind. But the 'new' stator failed pretty soon after. Replaced with new 'old' stator off of ebay and haven't had a charging problem since....

100 members of GSR, probably 85 or more of us have had charging issues and have taken probably different approaches. However, charging problem can be the easiest of the ones you may face on a 20+ year old bike.....

Comment

Hi,

Start with a known good, fully charged battery. The bike will run with the stator unplugged if the battery has enough charge. Go through the troubleshooting in The Stator Papers. Or, here's the direct link: http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_statorfacts.htm

There is supplemental information on my website. Feel free.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Ok, thanks guys! I'll try these tonight

Comment

The stator wires run from the stator thru starter area (under the starter cover). They exit from under the starter cover in the center of the bike and just behind the cylinders and run back to a place where they plug into the R/R wires. On my 1100GL, that place is on the left side of the bike just in front of a vertical frame member that is just in front of my fuse box.
            1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
            1983 GS 1100 G
            2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
            2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
            1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Ok, i did the tests without unplugging it from the CDI box and it seems the stator is bad. I did find some melted wires (blue, green, and yellow i think) that the previous owner tried to tape back. the wiring on this thing has been a nightmare, i would like to find a "barebones" wiring diagram that i can eliminate this birds nest when i get a new stator.
              just to be safe though i'm going to have the battery tested. it wouldn't be the first junk battery i have gotten from Autozone or Advance!

Comment

Hi,

Check my website. I've documented things like stator replacement and r/r replacement. There's a lot of stuff there you might find helpful.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I did, it has been a HUGE help! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X