GS450L Problem is got me confused please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450L Problem is got me confused please help

ok first i dont know if its positively electrical but im going to ask a expert or some one who knows more than i.

1981 GS 450 L
    problem: runs good for awhile then either dies on the road or when i do shut it off i can never get it restarted, if i do get it restarted it dies a second later. but it does not do this all the time thats what got me so confused. i would assume its electrical but as i said id rather ask some one who is more experenced. it seems like when it gets hot it does this.

thank you for any help in this. its got me going NUTS!!!

Next time it dies remove the floatbowl drain screws to see if there is fuel inside. If so, pull the plug caps off, stick in some spare plugs, lay the metal portion of the plug against the engine and turn it over while watching for spark. The trick is to do all this right after it craps out so you can find the problem.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

thank you and will try that and get back to you thanks so much its got me so confused

Comment

I had a problem with bad wire connections. If you can't find the problem with the tests above then check your wiring. Rusty wires and bad battery connections are nasty.

Comment

ok i located the problem to Spark. it is intermitten at best and when decides to shut down at random times

most of the wire work i tested with a meter and comes up with good conductivity.
          any more help would greatly reduce my headache
          but so far looking at the bright side ive narrowed it down

one second it will start up fine then the next not a thing
          Last edited by Guest; 07-21-2010, 07:02 PM. Reason: forgot more details

Comment

Hi,

Some general help:

Diagnosing Slow Cranking
            Igniter/Signal Generator/Coil Test
            Igniter Repair/Testing (2MB PDF)
            How To Repair Your Wiring Harness
            Cleaning Your Wiring Harness
            Testing The Ignition System

Start by checking and cleaning every electrical connection and ground on the entire bike. Tedious, yes, but necessary.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Ok found this out last night if this is bad I think its the problem I did this at dark to see better when I took the spark plug wire out and slightly held it I could see it jumping from the wire to the frame. It died as soon as it did that. But when I pulled the wire away it was able to start back up again... If I do need to replace the wires how can I since it looks like its all one piece to the coil? But thanks for all the info I would have never gotten this far with out all of your help.

Comment

Hi,

It is possible to replace the wires in the stock coils. Carefully chip away at the glue holding the wires. Use dental tools, exacto knife, etc. Do not damage the spike at the bottom of the wire holes. After you've scraped and cleaned the old epoxy and removed the wires, push some new wires in and epoxy in place.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

You guys are awesome thanks so much its my first bike and was free. And now ill get it running and reliable. I can't express my thanks enough thank you all

Comment

Working...
                  X