Intermittent Starter Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intermittent Starter Failure

It seems my starter button is failing. Sometimes it'll work just fine, and then sometimes I'll hit the button and absolutely nothing happens. No clicking or whirring or anything.

From what I'm reading I should attempt to jump the solenoid to see that the starter motor is still good, and if that's the case I would need to clean the contacts in the starter button assembly, yes?

Check all contact points in the circuit fromt he starter ground all the way back.

A bad solenoid will not necessarily click so jumpering would isolate that part I think.

Comment

You should also check the clutch safety switch...

Comment

Try all of the above.

A volt-meter will let you check voltage at the switch leads, as well as elsewhere, and buying one is a good investment. You will get many opportunities to use it for automotive and home purposes.

When you get the other points clarified, look at the starter brushes. They all wear out over time, and can give the result you describe.

The commutator can usually be cleaned up, and new brushes are available at

www.stockers.com

When you open the starter watch for match-marks on the body and cover, and be sure you match them when re-assembling the unit.

Also note: the starter buttons do get dirty over time and can be opened and cleaned, but you need to be careful that small parts are all retained.

Do ALL the work inside a large, clear, plastic bag, beginning with removal from the bike..
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

So, where should I concentrate my efforts first?

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
            So, where should I concentrate my efforts first?
            The switch is easy to take off and clean I would do that first and then move on at least knowing it was eliminated as a source of trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
              The switch is easy to take off and clean I would do that first and then move on at least knowing it was eliminated as a source of trouble.

Almost agreed. I would put that as second.

ALWAYS have a VOM handy, and start with that ultra-handy tool. Connections on a GS are notorious, and you should be sure they are sound.
              Clean them as you check them.

Even though the switch can and will get dirty, the connectors on the leads are more likely to be troublesome and voltage loss can mislead you into seeing an apparent switch problem, and a poor/dirty/loose contact will not carry enough load to triger solenoids, etc., so you might think of failure somewhere else.
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Update:

Dirty clutch switch!

She's back in action.

Thanks to GravityTester (Pat) for being a smarter second set of eyes!

Comment

Click click

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                  A bad solenoid will not necessarily click so jumpering would isolate that part I think.
                  A good solenoid WILL click.....every time you start the bike! If the solenoid is getting power and it doesn't click, you've almost certainly got a defective solenoid.

If anyone doubts this, I can tell you a very simple test you can perform that will convince you!
                  Last edited by chuckycheese; 10-06-2010, 03:27 PM.
                  1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Working...
                  X