to spark or not to spark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to spark or not to spark?

For awhile I've been trying to figure out the problem why cylinders 1 and 3 aren't combusting. The spark is great since I just got new Dyna coils, Taylor wires, and NKG plugs but I was still missing for some reason.
    Today, I went to take the plug wire off of the non-firing cylinder while the bike was running and for an instant it combusted a few times as the spark jumped FROM the wire to the plug.

WHAT?? Nonsense. I then firmly seated the wire back on the plug. Nothing.
    Again, pulled the wire, and held it right up agianst the plug....fire fire fire!!
    but when I went to fully seat it to the plug, NOTHING!!
    I then reach for another plug laying around as I scratch my head.
    Torqued' it down, seated the plug wire...Fire fire fire, this time the plug wire was seated and it fired.

huh? Spark jumping to somewhere other than where it needs to be? how?
    REMEMBER, the first plug actually fired when the wire was off of its seated position, but not seated. Defective plug?

Originally posted by goggleboy View Post

huh? Spark jumping to somewhere other than where it needs to be? how?
    REMEMBER, the first plug actually fired when the wire was off of its seated position, but not seated. Defective plug?
    Sounds like a defective plug for sure.
    You are lucky you did not get a nasty shock.
    Electricity takes the shortest path to ground.

It used to be a nasty game we played on dirtbikes
    come along side and pull the guys plug off leaving his single to die while you took off.

Well one of my friends had a bad plug cap and it gave me a wonderful surprise right through my damp sweaaty gloves.
    I thought the guys would die laughing.

Comment

Working...
    X