crazy spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

crazy spark

Today I watched a big purple spark jump from the end of the spark plug wire to the spark plug while the bike was running. Sweet, after new coils, wires, and plugs I should be getting a good spark. So I seat the wire onto the plug completely, and then I start having problems. Its missing. Wheres the spark going? Is it TOO strong and jumping elsewhere? Now, when I take the wire off the plug the spark will jump from the end of the wire to the tip of the plug and to the gap in the chamber which causes the cylinder to fire and it runs fine, but as soon as I seat the plug wire to the plug, it starts giving me trouble. ???? Is there such thing as TOO much voltage? Where is this spark going?
    I have no idea how to contain this, I need help

Hi,

It could be a connection issue between the spark plug wire and the spark plug cap. Replace the caps and trim about 1/4 inch of wire off the ends before you twist on the new caps. Plug caps are cheap.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

hmm.. I was thinking more along the lines of cap-to-plug insulation issues. like, the spark jumping past the tip of the plug and grounding somewhere. I mean, this spark is insane. It will jump almost an inch out of the end of wire when its off.

Comment

Working...
      X