Coil Operation "theory"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coil Operation "theory"

I am chasing a lack of acceleration in my bike, and in doing so I found that I was getting some arcing from the spark plug wires on 2 and 3.

So I was swapping the right coil from a parts bike on and noted that as the coil is sitting on the frame, the wire from the right side of the coil crosses over to number 2 and the wire from the left side crosses over to number 3. This setup was the same on both bikes.

Then this morning I was perusing the new Clymer manual I have, and it shows the coil wires *not* crossing each other for either coil. (So left wire goes to 2, right wire goes to 3.)

I tried running the bike with the wires in both orientations and neither seemed to make a difference in how it rides (poorly, btw...)

My question is, does it really matter? I'm thinking that the coil may well be sending spark to both plugs at the same time, and one must just be at the top of the compression stroke, and the other cylinder is getting a spark in the exhaust stroke.

Is this right? I haven't yet seen anything that states as such, but I haven't seen the opposite either.

This is on an '82 GS650L

Originally posted by superdave View Post
    I am chasing a lack of acceleration in my bike, and in doing so I found that I was getting some arcing from the spark plug wires on 2 and 3.

So I was swapping the right coil from a parts bike on and noted that as the coil is sitting on the frame, the wire from the right side of the coil crosses over to number 2 and the wire from the left side crosses over to number 3. This setup was the same on both bikes.

Then this morning I was perusing the new Clymer manual I have, and it shows the coil wires *not* crossing each other for either coil. (So left wire goes to 2, right wire goes to 3.)

I tried running the bike with the wires in both orientations and neither seemed to make a difference in how it rides (poorly, btw...)

My question is, does it really matter? I'm thinking that the coil may well be sending spark to both plugs at the same time, and one must just be at the top of the compression stroke, and the other cylinder is getting a spark in the exhaust stroke.

Is this right? I haven't yet seen anything that states as such, but I haven't seen the opposite either.

This is on an '82 GS650L
    Correct It fires both plugs at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by superdave View Post
      The arching from the plug wires normally means that there is too much resistance in the wires or connections of the high tension path. The pulse of energy is partialy repelled from the high impedance and the energy has to go somewhere so it finds a path to ground.

On my old chevy it could be seen at the connections of the coil primary wires. Sounds like you need to check the wires or replace.

Comment

You can really see cross talking wires at night
        especially if you were to spray some salt water on them.

I would not do that to a bike for fear of damaging electronics buts it often happens in winter where they use road salt on vehicles.

bad wires become a lot more noteworthy when they have a conductive liquid on them.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
          You can really see cross talking wires at night
          especially if you were to spray some salt water on them.

I would not do that to a bike for fear of damaging electronics buts it often happens in winter where they use road salt on vehicles.

bad wires become a lot more noteworthy when they have a conductive liquid on them.
          yes, and if you can get your bike in the dark like he was saying while its running, look EVERYWHERE to make sure the spark is contained. My grandpa always called it the christmas tree test

Comment

Originally posted by goggleboy View Post
            yes, and if you can get your bike in the dark like he was saying while its running, look EVERYWHERE to make sure the spark is contained. My grandpa always called it the christmas tree test
            Christmas tree is exactly what came to mind first time i saw it.

Comment

Working...
            X