Electrical problems assured?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical problems assured?

Hi, I've got my eye on a 1983 GS1100E. I've been reading on this awesome site that early GS's are plagued with electrical problems. Is this assured or it only a rare occurence? I get the impression fron GS Resources that most early GS's suffer this fate.Please advise.

Thankyou.

Originally posted by ddeboer View Post
    Hi, I've got my eye on a 1983 GS1100E. I've been reading on this awesome site that early GS's are plagued with electrical problems. Is this assured or it only a rare occurence? I get the impression fron GS Resources that most early GS's suffer this fate.Please advise.

Thankyou.
    GS bikes electrical systems are fine. Some people have charging system problems, mostly caused by poor grounds on the RR, but they are easily fixed.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      GS bikes electrical systems are fine. Some people have charging system problems, mostly caused by poor grounds on the RR, but they are easily fixed.
      Or some other dirty or faulty connector. Make sure they're all clean and protected from corrosion and everything should be fine. As I recently learned the hard way, dirty/faulty connections will lead to component replacement.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

It makes sense to test the electrical system if you buy one, to see how the components are. It also makes sense to clean or replace or eliminate the four major charging system connectors and add a ground from the RR directly to the battery.

The truth is that these same problems are common in all the Japanese bikes from the 70's and 80's.
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

My '87 BMW 325i sedan gives me electrical problems. Actually, it gives me frikkin' fits...So does my '85.

I guess what I'm saying is that practically all older vehicles are going to require some form of maintenance at times. Don't let it discourage you, just start in one place, check, fix if necessary, and rinse and repeat until the bike's squared away. To quote Bob, "baby steps".

Comment

Originally posted by ddeboer View Post

Thankyou.
            Issues are pretty well understood so if you are motivated to fix it so you can ride the bike the electrical should not be a deterent.

Now these guys you might have to wonder.......

Comment

Nahhhhh!

I think "plagued" is kind of a harsh description. I've certainly had some electrical issues but once you get them sorted out and properly corrected, they don't seem to be a further bother.

Also, a real bonus was that I learned so much about electrical systems (lots of it from Jim (AKA Posplayr) that I woudn't otherwise know. I'm never intimidated by electrical stuff, now. It's been really helpful with other projects, too.
              1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
                I think "plagued" is kind of a harsh description. I've certainly had some electrical issues but once you get them sorted out and properly corrected, they don't seem to be a further bother.

Also, a real bonus was that I learned so much about electrical systems (lots of it from Jim (AKA Posplayr) that I woudn't otherwise know. I'm never intimidated by electrical stuff, now. It's been really helpful with other projects, too.
                Chucky,
                Thanks .

With all the other challenges of keeping this old GS beauties going I have tried to help keep electrical problems be any kind of issue.
                Jim

Comment

You da man, Jim!

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  Chucky,
                  Thanks .
                  You were always very patient with me, Jim, and I've never forgotten it. Some things that seem so clear to me now, were so confusing back then.
                  1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Working...
                  X