Starter Issues!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Issues!!!

hi, i am going nuts trying to fix problem i am having. quick recap of issue: started bike to warm up, had to shut off to help wife, went back out to start it and hit the start button and it stated to crank over then starter just started spinning without engaging. so, i replace starter and tried again, hit start button, started to crank then starter just started spinning without engaging. so i then replaced the starter solenoid to see if that was problem. hit start button same thing happened. Checked connections and all looked good. Hope you all can help me figure this one out. Thank you for your time!!

sounds like the starter clutch has gone. if the starter is spinning but not turning the engine then its not an electrical fault. you need to strip out and check over the starter clutch
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

pull the starter off the bike take a pair of jumper cables hook them up to a battery the hook the cables up to your starter but keep in mind that you dont need to just clamp them on just touch them to your ground and your positive and see if it engages if it does its not the starter

Comment

Share your videos with friends, family, and the world

If it sounds like this what Agemax said.

In the video the clutch barrels and hub are worn to the point they will not grab so they are slipping till they finally stop grabbing and no joy.

Comment

Solenoid

Ah......now, there's yet another spare, perfectly good solenoid in the 'forum family'.
          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

What bike?
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies! I will check out starter clutch and let you know what I find. It sounds exactly like posplayr vid.
              Last edited by Guest; 07-27-2010, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X